Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA and Confluence migration from self-hosted to cloud

richjarrow December 17, 2019

We have self-hosted versions of JIRA and Confluence that I administer, and were admittedly not set up in the most ideal way by my predecessor.   We want to migrate to Cloud based from self-hosted.   JIRA 7.5.1 and Confluence 6.5.0.  They share a user database, and are on a single AWS instance. 

I understand that Atlassian recommends upgrading to at least 7.13.1 to migrate based on the documentation that I've read.  Part of our need to migrate is the fragile nature of these servers.  If we could simply do the upgrades, we might not feel the need to migrate as strongly.  

Looking for recommendations on database backups/restores and user database migrations to test the upgrade in-house on new instances and without interrupting our current servers.  Do people have a very strong opinion on splitting the JIRA/Confluence servers from each other?  We are on the 51-100 user tier - so we're not talking about crazy high-usage servers.  

Long time Win/Linux system admin, but relatively short time JIRA/Confluence admin so I'm seeking guidance.  ;-)   Thanks!

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Ashley Elder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2019

Hi @richjarrow,

Thanks for the question!

Overall, I would suggest doing test migration with your current version and if you don't run into issues, don't bother with the upgrade. You don't need to upgrade your Confluence and for Jira, (as you mentioned) your current version might work based on our documentation:

Between 7.0.0 and 7.6.0: We advise upgrading to 7.13.1 or later before migrating.

Migrating versions between 7.0.0 and 7.6.0 may work, but these versions are no longer guaranteed to work without requiring an upgrade.

If you find that upgrading is a must, we can help with all the steps to ensure it's a success before you migrate to cloud.  

Let us know if you have any questions

Ashley

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events