Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are users migrated to the cloud using the cloud migration assistent

Erik Mathijs September 14, 2021

We are using Jira & Confluence Server. All users are registered in Jira Crowd.

Moving to the cloud means another approach of user management.

How are users migrated to the cloud when i use the cloud migration assistent ? 

• becomes every user automatically membership of an organisation ?
  • what is the difference between a organisation and a site ?
  • how do i become admin privileges to a organisation / site ?
  • because i will start with a free cloud trial, i will use it for user acceptance testing. After several tests and corrections i will do the migration in a paid cloud environment. Can i use the same organisation (and site) for production purposes ?

I'm sorry to ask perhaps some stupid questions ... beïng a newbie ;-) 

Thanks in advance for clearing this out to me, because i realize that the usermanagement structure is important to understand.

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

5 votes
Answer accepted
Amna Elabbas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2021

Hi @Erik Mathijs ,

1- When the Migration Assistant migrates your users, it also migrates the groups that they are in. If we find a group in your cloud site with the same name as a group that you are migrating, we will not re-migrate that group. Instead, we will add the users from the server group into the cloud group. Those users will then be given the same permissions as the cloud group. Please review How groups and permissions are migrated

2- An Atlassian organization provides a centralized place for managing your products and users. A site contains instances of Atlassian products under your organization. More info can be found here - Understand Atlassian sites and organizations

3- When you start out with a site, you're a site admin. After you invite users, you can make them site admins or product admins by adding them to groups.

When you create an organization, you become an organization admin (in addition to a site admin) and can make other users organization admins.

Once you have an organization, you can add other sites that your company manages. When you add a site to your organization:

All organization admins become site admins for the newly added site.

All site admins stay site admins of their current site. Please check Give users admin permissions

4- Yes, you can use the same site for testing and prod, make sure your site is clean before moving to prod

Cheers,

Amna 

Erik Mathijs September 14, 2021

Hi Amna,

Must i create an organisation and atlassian sites (Jira & Confluence) before using the migration assistent or are they created by the migration assistent during the migration process ?

Greetings,

Erik

Amna Elabbas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2021

Hi @Erik Mathijs , you will need to claim your cloud migration trial here and that will match your self-managed user tier and end date. 

Like Stephanie Grice likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events