Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the jira cloud migration app import an already existing project

Christian Domsch May 25, 2020

Following situation:

We migrated successfully beginning of this year from jira server to jira cloud. Due to some internal reasons, we have a bunch (around five) projects that still needed to use our old internal jira server for their work.

Unfortunately, some of those projects made changes on both ends (the server instance and the cloud instance), so the question is how to migrate the server data to the cloud, without loosing changes in the cloud there.

Normally, I would assume that I delete the project in the cloud and import from the server with the jira cloud migration app.

But, how does this app behave, if a project of the same name already exists? Does it fail? Does it just add new issues, does it overwrite?

If it can't handle this situation, what is the best way to proceed?

Kind regards,

Christian

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Audun Røe _Kantega SSO_ May 25, 2020

If I remember correctly, the Migration Assistant will tell you when a project with the same key already exists at your Cloud site, and will not allow you to select that project for migration unless you first delete it from the destination. You can still migrate other projects.

If you need to merge issues for projects that have been worked on in parallel, CSV import seems to be the only option: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/compare-cloud-migration-methods-981151113.html

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events