Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All users scoped for Confluence Server to cloud migration

Afelio Infra November 26, 2021

We are trying to migrate a project from our Confluence Server to an Atlassian Cloud instance.

In the migration settings, step "Choose what to migrate", I select the following :

• Spaces: Migrate spaces;
  • Users and groups: Migrate users related to the selected spaces;
  • Apps: None.

2021-11-26_16h18_55.png

In the "Choose the spaces you'd like to migrate", I select only one space, with current permissions limited to only one user.
2021-11-26_16h19_20.png

In "Check for errors", there are some warning about some invalid e-mail addresses (those are administrative users synced from our Active Directory that aren't really used in confluence), I choose to ignore them and to delete them in the cloud instance once the migration is completed. I'm however a bit startled that there are warning about those users, since they are in no way involved or mentionned in the space I chose to migrate.2021-11-26_16h19_53.png

I click on "Review Migration", and see that in the "Scoped" section, 778 users and 59 groups are going to be migrated, which is actually our whole users directory. There is no way that all our users are related to this space in one way or another.
2021-11-26_16h20_08.png

How can this be, and how could I force it to migrate only the users related to the space I chose ?

Thanks for your answers.

[Some non-related info is blurred in the screenshots for privacy reasons]

3 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2021

Do all the users have view access to the space you are migrating?  That might be causing the problem.  Can you send a screenshot of the space permissions?

Afelio Infra December 6, 2021

Sorry, I didn't see your reply. Thanks for replying !

I've already tried removing every permission on the space (except its owner, which is a single user), but it changed nothing.
I also checked and some users (notably those that trigger the "Invalid email addresses" warning) don't belong to any group, not even confluence-users (so they couldn't be included because of some group permission or mention).
Last but not least, I created an empty test space and restricted permissions to me only, and when I try to migrate it, all users are still scoped.

Here's a screenshot of the space permissions. They also match my test space permissions (it's in French but I think it's quite self-explanatory) :Capture d’écran 2021-12-06 155607.png:

Like David Drinnan likes this
Paul Marchant March 14, 2022

Following.  Having the same issue....

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2022

How is your user directory managed, via external user directory or internal user directory?  How many active licenses are being used?  What are your default space permissions (BASEURL.com/admin/permissions/viewdefaultspacepermissions.action )What are your Global Permissions (BASEURL.com/admin/permissions/globalpermissions.action )

We have it connected to AD to allow the use of centralized credentials, but only a very small number of users are in any groups that can even login/view/edit Confluence.

Default Space permissions are limited to 3 small groups as well as Global Permissions, similarly limited to 8 very targetted/small groups.

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2022

If you go to Confluence Admin -> General Configuration -> License Details, under Licensed users how many does it say you have?  How many users does the migration assistant say it will migrate?

Under License Details is says: 50 (35 signed up currently).

However, when running the migration assistant, under Migration Details > Users and groups > Scoped currently (lists total count of all users in LDAP/AD tree, a very large number).  

Similarly, in the Data Migration part, despite just test migrating a single 1 test Space with a handful of users, again under the Users and groups > Scoped, just has a spinning pin-wheel as the migration tool seems unable to tell how many actual Confluence users are in scope of the entire Confluence install, or a single Space, when backed by a large account tree of potential accounts of users NOT in scope.

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2022

Is it possible to temporarily disable the AD connection and test the migration assistant to see if that lowers the number of users?

0 votes
Chris Jones September 12, 2023

I found that any groups that ever had permission to browse the space are considered related. In our case the same group used to assign licenses was set with a default permission when spaces created. So this group is "related", when creating a migration all current members of that group are then also considered related.

What this means is that a whole lot of users get imported into the Confluence Cloud site while testing migrations. I expected only users with current access would be related. I do not think the users were notified so they would not be aware unless told.

I am not aware of any work around.

0 votes
Chris Jones September 10, 2023

hi Afelio, did you find a solution to this?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events