Long-time listener - first time caller

Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2020

New to answering - are there any rules or guidance to keep in mind?

I've been working with Atlassian products for 2 years and find real world issues to resolve is helping me prepare for the Jira Cloud Admin exam.

2 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2020

You can probably guess a lot of them as you've wandered around the Community in the past, but I would certainly open the "featured" articles from https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Welcome-Center/gp-p/WelcomeCenter , and skim them for things you have not already worked out!

I know exactly what you mean about real-world experience. I had an exam coming up and I had revised a block of stuff I was not that familiar with, but the exam covered.  I thought I knew it. 

An opportunity came up related to it, and as I'm in a senior position, I was able to get it allocated to my squad because "one of my consultants is learning about it" (The others did not need to know it was me).

If I had not grabbed that, and learned from a real-world case just before the exam, I'm 95% sure I would have failed.

Like Stuart Capel - London likes this
Paul Wright August 20, 2020

In my humble opinion, the responses you offer should be relevant to multiple audiences.

Keeping everything in 'Matrix code', which only an Uber Tech would understand would alienate the less technical or lay person that needs some simple help.

I'm definitely on the lay person end of the spectrum, but have 3 years experience of navigating my way through the complexities of the Atlassian suite.  I probably consume more that I give, but help where I can and I always (because I have to), K.I.S.S.  (Keep it simple stupid!)

Good luck!

Like Stuart Capel - London likes this
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2020

Thanks Nic,

There's some useful stuff in there. 

Thanks Paul,

I'm technical enough but mainly I work with end users so keeping it simple definitely resonates with me!

David Willson August 20, 2020

Remember that people will ask questions and provide you no context whatsoever. It's super important to identify what product and what platform they are using (cloud / server).

Also alot of answers are "buy this plugin', I always try and offer a native solution first, then suggest a plugin. The product has very defined boundaries, and plugins can do everything, but I hate it when plugins are suggested for core functionality.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events