How do I retain format of pasted text in a JIRA issue?

Michael Rans October 5, 2021

I have text in an Outlook email that includes tables. I copy it all and paste into a JIRA issue. The formatting of the tables is lost. Is there any way to keep the original formatting?

In the end, I pasted all the text into a Google doc and linked to it from the JIRA, but this is a painful workaround.

3 answers

0 votes
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2021

Use JEditor - Rich Text Editor for Jira plugin/Add-On. It works well with all formatting. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1210768/jeditor-rich-text-editor-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=datacenter 

Michael Rans October 7, 2021

Thanks. It looks like it is not for cloud JIRA. Also I am looking for free solutions as this is a pretty basic problem.

Like davesoft11 likes this
Spree Beau February 13, 2023

@Michael Rans - any luck finding anything on cloud?

0 votes
Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2021

@Michael Rans 

Jira uses markdown syntax for table formatting. There are online tools available to convert excel/outlook tables to markdown syntax.

Of course, if your data is sensitive, this option will not work.

From this post in stack overflow, i see one of the responses talks about a plugin for outlook to convert the table into markdown syntax. I have not tried it though. But see if that helps your use case.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/330391/markdown-in-outlook

Michael Rans October 7, 2021

Thanks, but I am using Outlook online from Linux, so the Outlook plugin wouldn't work for me. I tried a couple of online ones but they don't seem to work well with a complex table copied from an Outlook email. Do you know of a good site?

0 votes
Muhammad Akram Sharifi October 5, 2021

There is an addon in out for atlassian please add it to your outlook you can create issues from email to all projects types

i am using it and it made my life easier 

Moorad HEETUN October 5, 2021

What is the name of the AddOn and where to get it ? 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer