How do I move issues up and down in an Epic to any desired position?

Michael Rans October 5, 2021

In an Epic, I want to choose which issue is #1, which is #2, which is #3 all the way to the last issue not to sort according to a few pre-defined options. There appears to be no way to  drag issues up and down to reorder them.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fiona Brown October 6, 2021

You can do this in the Roadmap view - you can drag and drop the stories into the correct priority order in it. Just filter by the epic and drag and drop. You will need to have ranking enabled on your board. 

Also you can do this in the backlog view in Team Managed projects - just filter by the epic and drag and drop in priority. 

Michael Rans October 7, 2021

Thanks for the workaround. I've asked the question here to raise awareness at Atlassian of the problem. There is also this ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76877

Like Fiona Brown likes this
0 votes
Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2021

Hey, we use a free app called "Checklists Free" for small item sorting. And large items which are part of the Epic are prioritized/sorted on a kanban board itself.

It's not what you were asking, but like already mentioned you cant do what you are trying, hence everyone just finds a suitable workaround.

Thanks!

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2021

Hi Michael,

there is this Atlassian ticket:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-40929

And this is the last update:

Atlassian update on June 21st

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your suggestions.

You can now see a new dropdown box that allows users to sort issues under epic issues (company managed projects) and child issues (team managed projects). The following sort options could be available to you, based on your specific project setup:

• Created (most recent first)
  • Key (alphabetically then numerically)
  • Priority (same order specified in the global admin - only available when the “parent issue” also has the priority field visible)
  • Status (first by status category - to do, in progress, then done - and then alphabetically
  • Assignee (alphabetically then unassigned)
  • Default (current order, “ranking” - for example, what was set in a board)

Atlassian Product Team

Thanks. You'll see from the comments on the ticket you mentioned that the solution made after many years of delay was not what people wanted.

I've asked the question here to raise awareness of the problem which I've also put in this ticket which already has 173 votes and 87 watchers and counting: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76877

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2021

Hi Michael,

Correct there isn’t a means of re-ordering today. The children of an epic will appear in the order that they were created. 

Suggest an answer