Change issue type and screen scheme default

Edimara Souza August 17, 2021

Hi, I would like to know if its possible to change the default issuetype and screen scheme?

Because every time I create a projet, I need to add more three issuetypes and many others custom fields at the screem, and this action it has taken a long time

5 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user August 17, 2021

Assuming this is server or data center (not sure about cloud b/c we don't use) then you can create a new project based on the configuration of an existing project ("Create with shared configuration").  The new project will have all the same schemes as the existing one.

Yes, I use Data Center

But this way, I will have many project sharin the same issue and screen scheme. 

Deleted user August 17, 2021

Many projects sharing the same set of schemes is not necessarily a bad thing.  We actually have 825 projects that use the exact same set of schemes.  For our customer they want all projects following the same standards for workflows, fields, etc.  And when the customer asks to have something changed, we (admins) only have to change it in one place and all projects are affected.  Now, if each project needs to be unique then this model of projects sharing the same set of schemes won't work. 

Like Amanda Culver likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Pantham Akhil August 17, 2021

Hi Edimara yes you can change default issue types and screen schema if your a jira admin.

* Click on Projects -> Choose the appropriate project.

* Click on the Administration tab -> Click on Issue Types from the left panel.

* At the Issue Types screen, click on the Actions button on the right -> Select Edit Issue Types.

* Locate the Default Issue Type field -> Select the appropriate Issue type you would like to display as default. In this example, i will pick "....,"

* Reorder the Issue Types for Current Scheme to place the Issue type you would like to display as default right on top of the order. You can drag and drop the boxes.

* Click the Save button below.

I do this way

But, what I whant is that this is already automatic

for example: in jira by default whe have this issuetype: Epic, story, sub-task, task and bug

but every time I will create a projet I need to add "technical improvement" and "technical debt" (these last was created by a need)

What I want is make this group of issutype (epic, story, bug, task, sub-task, technical debt and technical improvement) be default

kudukuntla.shekar August 17, 2021

Hi ,

Create one custom issuetype scheme  and add required issue types to that scheme.

for the 1st time you have to add issuetype scheme to the project next time onwards at the time project creation just select shared configuration so that automatically default issue type scheme will apply to the new project.

0 votes
Robin Stemmers August 17, 2021

For your screen scheme

Click on Project Settings

Click on Screens

Click on the Actions button

Select use a different scheme

Then you can associate your specific scheme to be a default

0 votes
Robin Stemmers August 17, 2021

HI

If you on the cloud version like me - I know I can do change the default Scheme and Issue type

Go to the Project Settings

Click on Issue Types

Click on Actions

Edit the Issue Type

Then you can define your default Issue Type

2021-08-17 19_11_36-Modify Issue Type Scheme - Jira Service Management.png

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2021

Hello @Edimara Souza 

Are you creating Company Managed projects or Team Managed projects?

For Company Managed projects, there is an option during project creation to "Share settings with an existing project". If you have another Company Managed project that has the schemes assigned to it that you want in your new project, you can use that option to assign those same schemes to the new project.

If you are creating Team Managed projects there is not a way to change what is created by default.

Suggest an answer