Account Management Best Practices

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2017

My organization does a lot of consulting work, which means we work in lots of different instances of various Atlasian products (JIRA, HipChat, Bitbucket, etc.) for different customers. We're really struggling with the whole Atlassian ID concept. Just now I stumbled on the whole "personal vs. managed account" concept and I am ready to throw in the towel. 

Can someone please give a recommendation of the best way to set up users when you need to work in mulitple instances? Is this use case handled in any way by the newest Atlassian ID Rollout? I have looked but I can't find a clear answer anywhere. 

Thx. 

1 comment

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2017

Hi Kathy - when you say 'Atlassian ID Rollout', I'm assuming you are referring to the upgrade to Atlassian Account.

This helps with your use case only if the different instances of Atlassian products you use are Atlassian Cloud instances.

As the Cloud instances get upgraded to use Altassian Account for login, you'll be able to use your Atlassian Account (https://id.atlassian.com) credentials to login to all the sites, rather than having to remember a different username and password for each instance.

If the Atlassian products you are logging into are server products, then they are not affected by this.

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2017

That seems logical in theory but doesn't work for us in practice. The biggest issue right now is HipChat. Logging into the web interface for alternate instances doesn't seem to recognize Atlassian ID in all cases. The other issue we run into is that since these are customer instances, we don't have anyone on our team who has admin so getting email addresses in the user list updated is not something we can control. 

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2017

Are the Hipchat issues because the integration of Atlassian Account for HIpchat is still underway? If so, Atlassian ID will be recognised in more instances as they migrate.

What's the reason for needing to update email addresses? Just to make sure that you are registered with the same email address on all the instances you access?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events