Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does user account billing work if you pay for your Access on an annual basis

Betsy B January 5, 2020

Getting billed on a monthly basis for Atlassian Access means at the end of the month you are billed for the number of active users.

If you choose to pay for your Atlassian Access annually, how does Atlassian determine # active users?  averaging monthly?  You have to pay for the annual option up front.

Do you get credit if the resulting active user count monthly is less than whatever you planned the annual cost?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2020

Hi @Betsy B,

As with the other Cloud applications, I believe if you opt to pay annually, you lock in at a license tier (i.e. 200 users).  Then, you can have up to 200 active users for the entire year.  This method will mean that there may be times where you are paying for unused licenses, and others where you might need to upgrade to the next license tier if you run out of available active user licenses.

You will not be credited for unused licenses, but I believe there is a discount for choosing to pay annually instead of month by month.

I'd take a look at the cost difference: https://www.atlassian.com/software/access/pricing

and see what makes more sense for your company at this time.  I know personally we have used both month by month and annually in the past, as there are certain user license counts where it becomes cheaper to pay for a few unused licenses instead of paying month by month.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Betsy B January 6, 2020

thank you so much for the quick response.  Makes sense to me.  I was hoping that Atlassian had an algorithm that tracked the active users regardless and gave a credit.  The annual price is at a discount, but it wouldn't add up to any significant lower usage if that occured.

Betsy

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
0 votes
Deborah Genevro February 12, 2021

Strictly from my personal experience....

And Atlassian pricing is subject to change.

A good resource is:  https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing#pricing-calculator

@Betsy B - monthly vs annual does have pros and cons. 

• If you are monthly you pay based upon the number of users in that month per the pricing tier.
  • If one month, your number of users puts you into the next tier of pricing, you will be charged the higher tier price
  • On the other hand, if you drop down to a lower pricing/user tier - you will be charged the lower price.

The thing is that if you are under 100 users the pricing tiers are smaller in terms of # of users.  For example 51-100 users has a price, but the next tier is 101-200 users and the price jumps substantially.

If you decide to go annual, you will get some savings, but you are locked into your user tier and you have to pay the entire amount up front.  You will not realize any change in price if your number of users drops.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events