"No content to map to Object due to end of input" when trying to create an issue using REST API and CURL

Theresa Pitts June 25, 2014

Here is my command:

curl -X POST -L -D- --insecure --cookie cfk --data {'fields': {'project':{'key':'ABCD'},'summary':' Test.','description':'Creating an issue using the REST API','issuetype':{'id':'3'}}} -H "Content-Type: application/json" http://m.company.com/issues/rest/api/latest/issue/

I assume I am getting this error due to the formatting of --data. How should the --data portion of the CURL command be formatted? Or is there something else wrong?

4 answers

3 votes
Theresa Pitts June 26, 2014

Got it. I needed to add --post302 to the CURL command line.

Jose Alban August 3, 2020

Thanks, saved loads of time on my side :)

1 vote
Jens Kisters //SeibertSolutions
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2019

I just spent some time working on this problem until i found out i had an encoding problem in the file i was importing (and creating issues via rest from).

A german Umlaut "ü" in the imported data caused this error  because i saved the file in a wrong encoding

0 votes
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2014

Hi Theresa,

What if you run:

curl -k -D- -u admin:admin -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" --data "{\"fields\":{\"project\":{\"key\":\"RTSD\"},\"summary\":\"ART Test.\",\"issuetype\":{\"id\":\"3\"}}}" http://m.company.com/rest/api/latest/issue/

In short:

Cheers.

This command is successful:

curl -L -D- --insecure --cookie cfk -H "Content-Type: application/json" http://m.company.com/issues/rest/api/latest/issue/createmeta

so I am assuming that my original URL is correct.

The REST API has Siteminder in front of it. I already have the command to authenticate to Siteminder (hence the cookie in the CURL command), but I think that there is a problem in passing the POST data. When I submit a GET command to the REST API, it works with no problems. I no longer think my problem is how I am formatting the json data.

Do you have any experience in getting a POST API call to work when going through Siteminder?

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2014

Hi Theresa, you can see an example of REST call with CURL to create an issue in JIRA here. You can define the data portion as this example:

{
    "fields": {
       "project":
       {
          "key": "TEST"
       },
       "summary": "REST ye merry gentlemen.",
       "description": "Creating of an issue using project keys and issue type names using the REST API",
       "issuetype": {
          "name": "Bug"
       }
   }
}

Cheers

I've studied the documentation and I think my json string is correct. Here is it (I removed the description field to make it shorter):

--data "{\"fields\":{\"project\":{\"key\":\"RTSD\"},\"summary\":\"ART Test.\",\"issuetype\":{\"id\":\"3\"}}}"

Do you see any issue with my --data json string?

Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2014

Hi Theresa, here there is an example of issue creation using CURL via REST:

ecrnt-06:~ tcomasseto$ curl -D- -u admin:pass -X POST --data "{\"fields\":{\"project\":{\"key\":\"TEST\"},\"summary\":\"REST ye merry gentlemen.\",\"description\":\"Creating of an issue using project keys and issue type names using the REST API\",\"issuetype\":{\"name\":\"Task\"}}}" -H "Content-Type: application/json" http://localhost:8080/jira625/rest/api/latest/issue
HTTP/1.1 201 Created
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 13:10:21 GMT
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
X-AREQUESTID: 610x10031x1
X-ASEN: SEN-L3611469
X-Seraph-LoginReason: OK
X-ASESSIONID: 1rp5d23
X-AUSERNAME: admin
Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, no-transform
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
Content-Type: application/json;charset=UTF-8
Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=357703688FAB2198109CF0CF4F4DA156; Path=/jira625/; HttpOnly
Set-Cookie: atlassian.xsrf.token=B64A-MCV0-ICIO-W176|627f6395bced9d0b5ab18c7c60af922021c0b1d8|lin; Path=/jira625
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

{"id":"10307","key":"TEST-23","self":"http://localhost:8080/jira625/rest/api/latest/issue/10307"}ecrnt-06:~ tcomasseto$

The data portion in this example is

"{\"fields\":{\"project\":{\"key\":\"TEST\"},\"summary\":\"REST ye merry gentlemen.\",\"description\":\"Creating of an issue using project keys and issue type names using the REST API\",\"issuetype\":{\"name\":\"Task\"}}}"

If it doesn't work, one thing you may need to check is if there's any required custom field to create issues in this project. If so, you'll need to include the custom field value in your json.

I hope it helps

naveenkumar_madhesh May 27, 2020

yes, its work for me. Main thing is --data portion.if data portion is right ,then you code will be work.'

thanks Tiago Comasseto 

Suggest an answer