Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lansweeper Integration

Nicholas Mulvihill June 1, 2016

I am looking into a few different products for Asset Management and would like to integrate their information into JIRA Help Desk and Ticketing solutions. Right now it looks like Lansweeper is my best solution and am curious if it is possible to import asset information into Jira.

For example, if a computer is reported for having a problem, we would like to see its IP, processor, owner, serial#, model#, etc. which would be imported automatically from Lansweeper.

I am aware that both programs use a SQL database and assume it is a possible solution, but is it common and/or realistic?

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2016

It's certainly possible, but let's start with one easy point - do not use SQL to change a JIRA database.  It won't work.  Just forget that idea.

I suspect that whatever you're doing, it'll need some code.  Either something in JIRA that can nip into Lansweeper and grab data out of it.  Or, if Lansweeper is going to be a trigger for something (e.g. spots a server vanishing, raises an issue), then you could use the REST interface in JIRA - Lansweeper could poke it in that way.  Have a think about what the general list of requirements might be and give us a bit more detail on them and we can probably talk you through more stuff.

There's also one other thing that my memory yelped at - have you taken a look at Riada's Insight Asset Management and Discovery add-ons for JIRA?

Nicholas Mulvihill June 1, 2016
I have looked into some of the add-on available for Asset Management and they do not seem to fulfill all of the requirements and discovery options as some of these other applications. 

What details would you need to possibly provide some more guidance?

Like Oleksandr Romaniuk likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2016

Riada's "Discovery" is quite a recent announcement - only a week or so old, so you may not have had it as an option when you looked before.

I think the information we need is some description of the intended behaviour - the "details imported automatically for an issue with a computer" is a really good start, so, thinking of that, I'll expand on it: How would you expect the issue to be raised? 

• If the fields are read from Lansweeper, how does JIRA know which details to read?
  • How does it do the read?  (Ok, a bit more tecchy - does Lansweeper has a remote interface you could fetch over?  Or SQL?)
  • Is the fetch dynamic - read from Lansweeper when you see the issue, or copied from Lansweeper when the issue is raised (arguable this one - a copy can be useful because it records the settings at the time of an incident, but it might be more appropriate to be dynamic and refer to what the settings are now)
Nicholas Mulvihill June 2, 2016

Thank you for the quick responses!

• I think we would like to explicitly list which details. For all work stations retrieve IP, Serial, AD owner, AD OU, Asset Tag, and a few custom defined fields from the application (Maintenance windows, Asset Tags, etc). From all servers get x,y,z. Something like that.
  • We would want it to read from SQL. It has a very nice SQL interface where retrieving info is pretty straight forward. All we would need is some sort of PK (like the machine name) from JIRA and then we could retrieve the data. The real problem is how we can put it into JIRA. 
  • I think we would want it to record the settings at the time of the incident. If we wanted to retrieve current information we can go look in the Lansweeper application.

Another question I have is whether we can even show these fields in JIRA? Can Jira's UI support the viewing of fields?

Does this help some with how we want to do this?

I also want to point out that I am saying 'JIRA' but am referring to JIRA Service Desk

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2016

Yep, that's enough to hand over to a developer really.

My instinct would be to keep it as simple as possible - create custom fields for the IP, serial etc in JIRA, and then write a post-function for the workflow that can read the selected machine name, grab the data and copy it into JIRA at the time the issue is created or updated.

If you do it that way with native fields populated from the outside, you'll be able to use them in service desk without any problem.

Nicholas Mulvihill June 2, 2016

is there any documentation on how to provide this information to jira? I have looked through their API but the explicit process is a bit hidden

Ross Bloomfield April 26, 2017

Hi - was there a resolution on this? We're looking at using Lansweeper too.

Kimberly Hall July 25, 2018

We would love an asset management tool we can use in the cloud version for Jira Service Desk.  We currently user Lansweeper for Asset Management only. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events