Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

language translation

Rita younes August 18, 2015

Dears,

Can I have the default language English as a package or a jar file?

I want to use the default language and translate it to my own language.

I know that there is a website that can help me, but i prefer to start the translation from the default english exist in JIRA.

Please adise.

Rita

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2015

Default messages in English are not available as a language pack (jar file).

Original messages are located in *.properties i18n files and there are many of these files spread across JIRA.

Translating JIRA to your local language this way is a bad idea for several reasons:

• There are many properties files and you will probably miss some (remember about plugins bundled with JIRA - they might contain i18n files too!)
  • There are probably some good quality translations for your language already available at translations.atlassian.com. Why not to continue that work?
  • When you upgrade your JIRA you will probably lose/overwrite language pack in your installation and need to install it again - that's a manual process and after a year you (or your successor) might not remember that you followed this not standard process.
  • When you upgrade your JIRA, it will come with new original messages. How to find these new entries among tens of i18n properties files and translate them?
  • Other JIRA users will not benefit from your work.

My strong suggestion is to use http://translations.atlassian.com website. It is very useful and allows to avoid the problems listed above. If you have any suggestion regarding usability, you can always raise an issue at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/TRANS.

You can also try IPT plugin for JIRA. It allows to translate messages right from JIRA and see translations instantly.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Jacek

0 votes
michael_ngangom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2015

Hello Rita,

You can installed the language that you need from Atlassian markets. The language install will give you complete details on how to do it. I hope this is what you were looking for.

BR,

Mike 

Dear Micheal , I 'm searching to get the English package installed by default in JIRA. (the default language in JIRA is the English, from where I can get all the fields ?) Once I get it i will be able to translate it in my own . Where I can get the english package? I hope my question is clear. Thanks,

0 votes

Thanks Michael for your quick answer. I want the english jar files which contains all the fielld in JIRA to translate it to my own language and put it in atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\atlassian-bundled-plugins ( in this location I can found the FR, ES, JP, DE jar files but I cannot find the english jar. Kindly advise

0 votes
michael_ngangom
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2015

Hello Rita, To understand your question better I would like to clarify if you need a language package for your JIRA instance? English comes by default

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events