Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to share a filter with everyone if i'm not an admin?

Ahmed Alghamdi June 14, 2016

Hello there, I looked at docs and youtube but still unclear, I am a member in a project, I created few filters that by default they are set to private. I created confluence page and posted them there for other members to see status of things. They cant see it because it's set as private. I contacted the project JIRA admin but he was not sure how to find my private filters so he can change them to share with everyone.

I went to my profile, and under dashboard and filter i clicked "shared" still issue is there, i dont seem to have the ability to change filter permissions, can i get some guidence please to how to achieve them? we are using JIRA Agile software development

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2016

You don't need to be admin. There's a Create Shared Objects global permission which can be granted to any group by JIRA admins. You need that to create Agile boards too, since they rely on shared filters.

Note that nobody, not even a JIRA sys admin, can directly change the permissions on a filter he/she doesn't own. An admin may change the ownership of a filter if it's already shared though, but private filters are not editable by anyone other than its owner, as explained here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9997.

1 vote
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2018

If you're an admin and you need to edit a private filter for another user (not sure why, maybe if someone is on vacation and their subscription email is forwarded to management or something), you can probably use the ScriptRunner add-on Built-In Script "Switch to a Different User".

We actually built an private add-on ourselves for a similar purpose, allowing an admin to edit Name, Owner and JQL on any shared filter (not private filters ). This has been a goldmine for me when users have been inactivated, but Sorry, I can't share the code.

lececere January 4, 2019

@Sten Sundelin I need a script to do just that and I'm not a coder who knows how to write in ScriptRunner. Any chance you can share some stripped down version of your code?

Many thanks!!

Laurie

Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2019

@lececere

To switch to another user, you don't need to write anything if you have the Scriptrunner App. It comes with a Built-In script available from the App menu: "Switch to a different user". 

If you're looking for the App to edit any shared filter, I am sorry, am not able to help you. (I'm not even sure where our source code resides anymore, but it was not written in Scriptrunner, it's a proper JIRA App written in Java.)

Best of Luck!

Sten

lececere January 7, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to respond @Sten Sundelin!

Regards,

Laurie

1 vote
Mike Flader May 30, 2018

I'm not an expert, but I struggled with this myself.   I was setup in the admin group so I assumed that would give me access to share filters and boards.  However, after a lot of investigation I realized that our system was setup so only the "user" group had access to share.  Once I added myself to the "user" group for Share Dashboards and Filters, then I had the ability to share.

So my advice if you are still having trouble, double check to make sure that your name is in the group that has access to the Share Dashboard and Filters...don't assume:)

Venkat Karthik July 12, 2018

Exactly what I was looking for... I had to add myself into the "user" group. Thanks for saving my time!

0 votes
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2016

Did you go to the filter and click on the 'Details' link next to the filter name and 'Save As' button?

Then click 'Edit Permissions', select 'Everyone', click the '+' Add, finally remember to click 'Save'.

Ahmed Alghamdi June 14, 2016

Ya,, i dont see that option, I think as Nicolas said, I'd need the admin to provide us with Create Shared Objects global permission. once that's done I should be able to see the option

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events