Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i display the UUID for jira mobile connect within jira?

nir pengas October 6, 2011

hi guys,

i've installed the jira mobile connect and integrated it with jira on our backend server. all is working all.

one thing that is missing and crucial is the ability to view the UUID per device.

i've added a custom field for it which is of type 'UUID Field' to the project i want to review it with the right screens and still cannot see it.

any leads?

thanks,

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
ChrisA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2011

If you wanted to capture the UUID for your records, you could add it in as a custom field in JIRA - this has the advantage that you're not modifying either the JIRA plugin or the iOS library. Just add this to your app delegate:

- (NSDictionary *)customFields

And return a dictionary with the (lower case) name of the custom field for the key and the UUID for the value.

nir pengas October 10, 2011

thanks chris. for anyone else following this thread, in the appDelegate:

- (BOOL)application:(UIApplication *)application didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:(NSDictionary *)launchOptions
{
	self.customFields = [[NSDictionary alloc] initWithObjectsAndKeys:@"uuid", [[UIDevice currentDevice] uniqueIdentifier], nil];

[[JMC instance] configureJiraConnect:@"http://myjiraurl"
							 projectKey:@"proj_key"
							 apiKey:@"my_api_key"];

i also added a uuid custom field in our jira install (the same way i've added a location field). i still cannot see it when posting feedback from within the app.

am i missing something chris?

thanks,

~nir.

nir pengas October 10, 2011

hi chris,

i've added the customFields dictionary to the appDelegate and initialized it with the following:

self.customFields = [[NSDictionaryalloc] initWithObjectsAndKeys:[[UIDevicecurrentDevice] uniqueIdentifier], @"uuid", nil];

NSLog(@"customFields: %@", self.customFields);

in jira i've also added a custom field to the project, just like i did for the location, yet the uuid does not appear there.
moreover, i've put some debug code in JMC.m at the getProject method and it seems as if the _customDataSource does not respond to the selector customFields.

what is missing in the implemention within the appDelegate?

thanks,

~nir.

ChrisA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2011

I'm not entirely sure without seeing more, but as Nick has said, it looks like you might not be setting a JMCCustomDataSource when initialising JMC

1 vote
Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2011

Hi Matt, Nir,

I'm a developer for JIRA Mobile Connect here at Atlassian. Just responding to some of the questions above:

The custom UUID field is hidden on purpose. This is for security reasons, because if the UUID is known, then it could be possible to craft a URL to access (read only) that user's previous issues and comments.

Is there a reason you would like to have this field exposed on each issue? Can you use something else to identify each user? Potentially using the UDID of the device could be OK?

If you would still like this field to be displayed for each issue created, then using Chris's suggestion above is best.

If you know the fields you wish to submit at App Launch time, then the simplest approach could be to use the JMCOptions object to configure JMC like so:

NSDictionary* customFields = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:[[UIDevice currentDevice] uniqueIdentifier], @"uuid", nil];

JMCOptions* options = [JMCOptions optionsWithUrl:@"https://jmc.jira-dev.com/"
                                             project:@"NERDS"
                                              apiKey:@"81da567a-ac0d-4e6c-b55a-627caecce9c0"
                                              photos:YES
                                               voice:YES
                                      crashreporting:YES
                                        customFields:customFields];
    [[JMC instance] configureWithOptions:options];

From the code snippet you posted, it looks like you are only setting the customFields property on the AppDelegate. Is your AppDelegate also a JMCCustomDataSource and is that set when you configure JMC ?

@Matt for issue and feature tracking you can sign-up for an account to create issues in the CONNECT project.

http://connect.onjira.com/browse/CONNECT

Please let me know how you go and whether or not you need assistance setting up the udid custom field in JIRA.

nir pengas October 12, 2011

thanks nick for your comment.

the reason to show UUID is because we want to distinguish between our testers...

we really like the testFlight implementation where users actually signup and each feedback provided is associated with them. we understand that for JMC there is one user (better for pricing) and they are distinguished by UUIDs. how can we make sense of reportings if we have, lets say, 10 testers? if we can do that without exposing UUID that's great.

thank you for your help,

~nir.

thanks nick.

i'm not sure if that is the best solution. ideally it will be a part of JMC tied into some unique ID (UUID or anything else) so it will work out of the box natively...

Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2011

Hi Nir,

I see what you mean. Using the device's UDID should be one way to go at the moment.

Alternatively, before showing the feedback form the first time, you could present another view to prompt the user for their name or email address ? Then submit this as a customField. You could even do both.

The UDID is however deprecated by Apple in iOS5, so it may not be around in iOS6.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2011

Hi Nir,

I have created http://connect.onjira.com/browse/CONNECT-82 for this and will see what we can do. For the time being however, I suggest you use the custom fields as mentioned above, as this will work just as well.

Cheers,

Nick

thanks nick.

the JMCOptions:optionsWithUrl does not have 'crashreporting' as a param in it. am i using an older version of JMC?

Nick
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2011

Hi Nir,

Check out this version: https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/jiraconnect-ios/src/29542ef9e8ad/JIRAConnect/JMCClasses/JMC.h#cl-54 . You may need to do a hg pull -u to get the latest changes. That option is quite new!

Cheers,

Nick

will do, thanks nick.

BTW, it might make sense to update your SBJson library...

cheers,

~nir.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2011

From https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/jiraconnect-jiraplugin/ in atlassian-plugin.xml that customfield has no Velocity resources so you can't see anything:

<description key="customfields.uuid.description">

A hidden system field that stores UUID for the JIRA Mobile Connect Plugin.

Adding this field to the context of a project, may enable JMC for that project.

</description>

hi matt, thank you for the quick reply.

i am not sure what this means though.. is it not yet possible to enalbe UUID or do i need to download the source, edit the conf file and re-combile to jar and upload to jira? if so - what are the changes that need to be done?

i have cursory understanding of java technology.

thank you.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2011

Yup, download from there and build the plugin yourself for JIRA (search on "Atlassian Plugin Development"). Then add a velocity resource for the .vm file to display the contents of that field.

i have no idea what you mean matt.. :)

maybe the guys from atlassian will enable this in the new build or something...

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2011

Sorry, nir :-) What I'm referring to is how to modify an existing JIRA plugin.

are a part of the devel team?

do you have any idea why this feature needs to be enabled manually rather than working out of the box?
i'd be happy to give it a try if there are detailed instructions on how to accomplish this..

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2011

I'm a consultant with CustomWare, who are a large Atlassian partner. JIRA Mobile Connect is a newish plugin for JIRA. It sounds like what you want is probably best filed as a Feature Request the plugins.atlassian.com site for this plugin (https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/322837) which refers you to jmc@atlassian.com

Rather ironically the issues site for this plugin doens't let me record an issue. Perhaps there's an app for that ;-)

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events