Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create new user in confluence with rest API

IT October 9, 2015

Is there a way to create a new Confluence user with the rest API?

https://docs.atlassian.com/atlassian-confluence/REST/latest/#d3e193 appears to really only be about spaces and pages but nothing regarding user administration

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Guilherme V.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2015

You can create a user directly in the database:

Let me share an example of how to create one(new administrator user).

insert into cwd_user(id, user_name, lower_user_name, active, created_date, updated_date, first_name, lower_first_name, last_name, lower_last_name, display_name, lower_display_name, email_address, lower_email_address, directory_id, credential) values (1212121, 'admin', 'admin', 'T', '2009-11-26 17:42:08', '2009-11-26 17:42:08', 'A. D.', 'a. d.', 'Ministrator', 'ministrator', 'A. D. Ministrator', 'a. d. ministrator', 'admin@example.com', 'admin@example.com', (select id from cwd_directory where directory_name='Confluence Internal Directory'), 'x61Ey612Kl2gpFL56FT9weDnpSo4AV8j8+qx2AuTHdRyY036xxzTTrw10Wq3+4qQyB+XURPWx1ONxp3Y3pB37A==');

insert into user_mapping values ('2c9681954172cf560000000000000001', 'admin', 'admin');
insert into cwd_membership (id, parent_id, child_user_id) values (888888, (select id from cwd_group where group_name='confluence-users' and directory_id=(select id from cwd_directory where directory_name='Confluence Internal Directory')), 1212121);
insert into cwd_membership (id, parent_id, child_user_id) values (999999, (select id from cwd_group where group_name='confluence-administrators' and directory_id=(select id from cwd_directory where directory_name='Confluence Internal Directory')), 1212121);

Cheers,

Vatsug Nesnej February 1, 2017

Thank you for this, it worked!

I will add that with your script, the password for the new user is simply "admin". Do you know what kind of hashing is used for the password, so I can choose another password?

Miguel Campos Varea September 4, 2018

Hello Guilherme,

I have a question about your example.

how do you figure out that the right id for table cwd_user is 1212121?

Is there any sequence? any table to control how to generate those ids?

Thanks.

1 vote
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2015

You can't use the REST API, because they haven't implemented it yet, but you can still use the older RPC API.  It is used somewhat similarly to the REST API, but instead of giving it an HTTP verb (GET, POST, UPDATE, DELETE), you always send it a POST (and make sure that the content type is "application/json").  Here is some more information about what you can do with user administration:

https://developer.atlassian.com/confdev/confluence-rest-api/confluence-xml-rpc-and-soap-apis/remote-confluence-methods#RemoteConfluenceMethods-UserManagement

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2015

Not sure myself...

yourdomain.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/user

Using REST API to create a user account in "On demand JIRA".

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events