Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why linking an issue is not triggering an event Listener?

ARUN KUMAR MK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2016

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2016

Why, exactly, I don't know.

but you are right, we've run into this a few times.  Issue linking doesn't fire any events at all.  I'm guessing it's because Atlassian never thought they'd use linking to trigger any activity. 

@Will Davis was the last person I know who managed to work around it, but I don't remember his trick well enough to explain it (and I wouldn't want to be credited for his work).

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2016

An open issue since 2005: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-8505

Low hanging fruit in my opinion but mine hardly matters smile

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2016

Very true, I could have used it a few times too.  I voted on it ages ago.

ARUN KUMAR MK
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2016

Thanks for your replies. When i give comment while linking the issue, it triggers the issue_commented event, this is good for me, but the problem is i wanted to make the Comment required field, is there a way to do that. Any other solution for this problem will help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

Will Davis September 5, 2016

As @Nic Brough says, I came up against this recently and was able to come up with a workaround, although it is not universally suitable. Using ScriptRunner for JIRA, we created a service that ran every minute. This service used a JQL search to identify all issues that had been updated in the last minute, and then looked up the relevant changelogs to see if those changes related to links being created or destroyed. All issues where the changes involved links then had the appropriate update made to them.

There was one large drawback to this approach - the "listener" did not act instantaneously, because the service only ran every minute - after a change was made involving a link, the update would happen up to 60 seconds afterwards. This was fine in the context of what we were trying to achieve, but not useful if an instant response to issue linking is required.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events