Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is developing plugins for Jira/Confluence such a pain in the arse?Close to impossible

overnight dev September 21, 2016

There is ZERO updated documentation. All the code found on Bitbucket doesn't work. One cannot find any working piece of code on atlassian. Everything you compile gives you a new error. You solve an error, get a new error...I think everyone knows what i'm talking about. 

Why are you guys making it so complicated? 

5 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

6 votes
Answer accepted
Alain Moran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2016

Use the source Luke!

If you don't (yet) have access to the application source code, then buy yourself a $10 license - you can then download the source code of the application you're working with and use it as example code.

The docs will always lag behind the source, seasoned Atlassian plugin developers will generally turn to the source as a first point of call when trying to work out how to do something.

3 votes
Ahmad September 21, 2016

I was pulling my hair out!  Seriously, I was trying to learn it but the tutorials don't work for JIRA 7.x.  How do they not update these tutorials?  

I've been waiting for @Jobin Kuruvilla book to become available ("JIRA 7 Development Cookbook - Third Edition"). Currently, the release schedule is next week Sept. 27 (which the publisher has pushed back 2 weeks already which is pissing me off... not Jobin's fault). You can find the book on Amazon.com (JIRA 7 Development Cookbook - Third Edition).  

Hope this helps.  

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2016

Honestly, it is partially my fault because I hadn't been signing off/approving the edited chapters. Believe me, I am equally frustrated that it is taking too long to get the styling, indentation etc correct but I hope it is worth it because "code" and "step by step instructions" are so hard to read without proper styling and indentation. The publisher is doing their best but it is a big book (over 500 pages!).

For what it is worth, the final versions are in my inbox and I am already reviewing them. I can't promise it but we are shooting to meet the 27th date. Please bare with us. Would have been so much easier to blame it on publisher alone but a book is the sum of all efforts smile

Ahmad September 21, 2016

Thanks Jobin!

0 votes
joachimbollen
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2016

For most tutorials, I think that most of it will work ok, if you first read up on the Spring Scanner, and adapt accordingly. But if you're new, it can really be a PITA sad 

Looking at the atlassian-plugin.xml files of other plugins, and the source code of the applications also do really help.

0 votes
Mel Paisley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2016

Hey, 

Thanks for the feedback.  We're aware that the Tutorials haven't been updated in a while and they're outdated for many of our newer releases.  

I'm working on releasing an updated getting started tutorial now but it still needs some testing so if you'd like to preview it before I release it to the public then I can probably work with you to get up and running at the same time (if that's where you're stuck). If you'd like that you can hop over to this survey and sign up https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z8W8K3Z.

If you're up to a more advanced tutorial then you can leave feedback at the bottom of each of the tutorials so that we know it needs review.  

And of course if you're running into a bug you can raise feedback in the AMPS or Atlassian Plugin SDK projects. 

Thanks for your patience. 

Cheers,
Melissa 

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2016

For now JIRA/Confluence sources are the only proven substitution of documentation. If you develop something more than trivial "hello world" (yes, I know that hello word tutorial does not work too...) addon you have to look through sources. 

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events