Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does JIRA not have nested comments in issues?

Michael Biwer December 2, 2015

Seems like this is a standard in Confluence and I have found this to be super useful in project collaboration where multiple people are responding and asking questions on a single Confluence page.  

Is this functionality coming to JIRA soon ?

And expanding on that, could we get comments on JIRA Dashboard / Kandban / Scrum Boards ? 

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2015

"Why" is simple - Atlassian keep finding more stuff of a higher priority to implement.  See, watch and vote for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3406

There is a "threaded comments" add-on which may be worth a look too.

The difficulty with comments in places like dashboards and boards is a matter of simple space - there's generally not enough for one or two comments, and then you're into how you summarise potentially hundreds of them.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

Come on Nic, you know that's not entirely true.  Stuff at a higher priority?  Have you seen how old the WYSIWYG ticket is?  Support for subcomponents?  The ability to rename a group?  Seriously, we can't rename groups.  

Like BarthélémyH likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2016

Come on Robert, you work with people, you can't tell me there's not a pile of stuff that you know you'd like to do, but there's always something more urgent arriving.

I can't speak for other people, or what Atlassian thinks on those particular subjects, but I can tell you that for me and my users, there's a massive stack of things that are far more important or useful, and hence a priority.

Like James Lawton likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

Absolutely - and that's exactly where I'm coming from.  These things should have been way up at the top of the list.  

Nested comments are a nice to have but not being able to rename a group is pretty much in severe bug territory. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2016

It's obviously not that important to Atlassian (as well as me and my users).  Don't get me wrong, I've got older stuff I need too.  But there's clearly more important stuff to them.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2016

Not trying to beat a dead horse, just pointing out that what's important to Atlassian, what's important to their clients, and what Atlassian thinks is important to their clients are often far, far apart.

Like Gary Bates likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2016

I'd qualify that with some of their clients.  The stuff I was talking to them about on Tuesday was vastly more important to a very large number of their clients.  A very quick rummage through my emails from Answers for example - group name changes once in June, the stuff we talked about on Tuesday - 9 questions.

Like Rufus Casey likes this
0 votes
Ugubi.io May 2, 2017

Hello ,
We are pleased to announce the release of our latest Jira plugin Multithreaded Comments which enables the possibility to have linear and comments trees where you can reply to comments and keep the main comment parents at the top level.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/threadedcomments/cloud/overview

We offer support for improvements and new functionalities 
Ugubi team,

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2017

Unfortunately that link does not work.

Ugubi.io May 23, 2017

Sorry the link has been fixed

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events