Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are system users created while i add some plugins? Are they harmful for my Atlassian environment? Is my project open to them?

Pratheush c mohan February 23, 2017

I have seen some activity by "Aha! Product Roadmaps" user, i can see some comments made by this VA. Are these harmful to my environment. 

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2017

Add-on's in Atlassian Cloud are implemented by services built by third party software developers. When you install these add-ons into your Atlassian Cloud instance a screen should appear asking you to agree to give the add-on a number of permissions. Like so: http://i.imgur.com/4BE7cnL.png

Atlassian Cloud gives this add-on those permissions by creating an add-on system user on the Add-ons behalf. The add-on may act as that user within your Atlassian Cloud instance. 

In short, you agree to give this third party service access to your data when you install these add-ons in your instance. These add-ons often need access to that data in order to perform the functionality that they were designed to carry out; for example, how can you generate a product roadmap if you can't see the issues?

You need to trust the add-ons that you install into your cloud instance. That is why Atlassian spends so much time showing you the details of the add-on that you are about to install in the Atlassian Marketplace.

It is why Atlassian also has an "Atlassian Verified" program that puts a symbol next to that Add-on developers name to show that they are a trusted developer. In essence, if you trust Atlassian, and Atlassian trusts the add-on developer, then you can have greater trust in the add-on developer too.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events