Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which method I need to use to import Data from ClearQuest to Jira ?

Manuel Campomanes April 18, 2012

Hello,

I need to import data from IBM Clearquest to my Jira (around 4k issues, 1go attachment) and I need to keep existing workflows.

Which methos is the better to do that ?

• SOAP (I have already used this method to import data from Excel file)
  • Jelly scripts (this method seems to be the most suitable)
  • SQL imports (import and export from and to MS SQL server)
  • Clearvision Affinity (£3.000 :s)

About Jelly, To change workflow status I need to do it step by step? Is there cons about jelly?

Jira > 4.4

Cheers,

Manuel.

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2012

CSV import will allow you to import the issues with whatever status you want. The workflows themselves need to be manually created.

Personally, and it was a long time ago, I did by exporting to excel, then ran a load of perl stuff to fix things up the way I wanted, then import using the CSV importer. I wrote a groovy script to bring in the attachments. That could be done with jelly, although it would be ten times more painful.

The workflows themselves need to be manually created.

manually -> I need to update status using Jira interface ? There are 4000 issues :/

----

In my view : I think I can parse Excel, generate Jelly scripts to create issues with attachments and then update issue status thanks to another jelly script. I can parse excel & generate jelly script using a Java program.

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2012

@Manuel: you don't need to manually update status of imported issues.

Just first configure the desired workflow in your JIRA instance (what is important are statuses/steps, you can always tweak transitions and their conditions/screens/post-functions later (without any need to manually update your issues). Then perform CSV import mapping in the wizard your original statuses in ClearQuest to just created statuses in JIRA.

With CSV import, I can import customfields, attachments and set a specific workflow status.

We don't have to make workflow transition to be in the workflow status wanted?

So, compare to Jelly or soap, there is no difference, it's just easier?

Thanks a lot for your help!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2012

> We don't have to make workflow transition to be in the workflow status wanted?

Correct, just map the input column to status.

> So, compare to Jelly or soap, there is no difference, it's just easier?

If CSV import does everything you need, and it sounds like it does, then use that! You said it handles attachments - at the time I did all this (4-5 years ago) it did not, hence the need for my groovy scripts.

1 vote
Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2012

Atlassian just released a ClearQuest to JIRA Migration cookbook that guides evaluators through the prototype setup. It includes best practices on Proof-of-Concept planning and execution, data migration, production approval process and points to relevant add-ons and Experts that can help.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ATLAS/JIRA+Cookbook+-+Migration+off+IBM+Rational+ClearQuest

It doesn't provide instructions how to sync the two but refers to Experts who could help with a customized interface.

On the migration topic itself, it lists 4 different methods including the CSV importer but also Expert tools or customized jelly scripts.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events