What is the best way to present a list of our customers inside a jira issue?

This sounds like a simple question, that could be answered with the addition of a custom field to our screens - here are the problems we have with this approach however:

1. We have over 1,400 customers (and growing) - loading 1400 values in a custom drop down field is a bad idea.

2. Our customer list changes daily and manual maint. of this field would be difficult (but not impossible).

I cant imagine we are the first company to have this need, so I am putting this out here to see what ideas any of you have. Thanks in advance!

Shawn

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Perhaps you could use the components field for this.

You can add and remove components through Jira's REST API. So you could create an application which would add and remove customers daily from the components list.

Then it looks like there isn't any good option for you to implement this.

You'll probably be stuck manually updating a select list until the Jira REST-API is expanded to allow you to update the select list options automatically, or you get off of onDemand.

Or you could create your own UI for creating and editing issues. This UI could allow you to have your dynamic customer list, and use the REST API to create and update the issues in Jira.

0 votes

You might want to look at solutions like nFeed plugin which will pull the options for custom field from a database.

Thanks Jobin, but we are in OnDemand so the plugin is not an option for us, I'm afraid.

Ah onDemand. You will have to live with the select list field I am afraid. You can use user picker field but that will show all users and the customers will have to created as a user first!

Thanks John, for the reply. We had explored this a bit, but:

1. We dont want to lose the components functionality.

2. From what we understood, the components field is just a dressed-up Select List, so it would still need to send all 1400+ customers down to the create/edit forms every time. Do you know if that is correct?

Ideally, there would be a field type that made async "type ahead" searches against a list of values on the server. I'm pretty sure there is no such ability.

Try a custom field of type label. You have to replace spaces in the customer name with underscores, but it is easy to add new customers and it has autocomplete. Plus you can use heat maps to see which customers are most active...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Thursday in Agile

How Scrum works? It starts with training and education

To answer “How scrum works,” most of the teams I've worked with first addressed the question: “where to start?”  That question applies to both implementation and improvements on the Scrum framew...

190 views 3 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you