What is the best strategy for ensuring that no 2 values of a custom field are the same (database custom field?)

Brian Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2015

I am loading item numbers from a foreign database, into a JIRA custom field.  I would like the user to be able to create new values (that match a regex) but that do not collide with existing item numbers, be they loaded from the initial import, or created using the JIRA interface post-import.  These item numbers (eg 123456A or 889923BB) need to be unique across all projects (or even better, multiple projects but not all). The numbers could be auto-increment but large swaths of numbers in the 6 digit range have already been used.

Any thoughts on the best practice for doing something like this?

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2015

but large swaths of numbers in the 6 digit range have already been used

Why don't you just insist on a 7-digit alpanumeric then...  for a simple scripted validator it would be something like:

(cfValues["Name of field"] =~ /\d{7}[A-Z]}/).matches()

(untested)

Brian Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2015

I like the simplicity of the simple scripted validator. {code} (cfValues["Item #"] =~ /\d{6}[A-Z]?/).matches() {code} This does prevent creating issues with an item number that doesn't match 6 numbers and zero or one letters. Would a second simple script validator allow me to disallow the creation of an issue with an Item # that already exists?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2015

yes but slightly (but not much) more tricky... you need to execute a jql query with the item value and make sure you don't get any hits other than the current issue (potentially).

Brian Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2015

Yep, thats a very quick solution. It'd be nice if I could suggest the next number, but there some arcane and inane business rules that have governed the Item # historically. I'd rather not bother figuring out how to enforce those rules in the system, so the prevention of duplication is good enough for now.

0 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2015

@Brian Bishop

I'd say the best way would be to leverage the old built in sequencing value creator and append the sequence value to each custom field value in the field. The call to reference the old sequence api was very simplistic - a single line call worked taking a single string parameter which identified the sequence value.

The table used in the database (JIRA database) is sequence_value_item. If you'd like a bit of example code I'll dig some up and edit this answer - let me know.

-wc

William Crighton

Capital City Consultants

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2015

ok, perhaps 'best' way is a _bit_ pretentious...must more accurate would be to say 'one way'

Brian Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2015

Thanks William, I've gone with a couple of validators to prevent duplication, rather than the more elaborate solution you suggested.

0 votes
Sumit Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2015

what exactly is meant by database custom field ?

any field from a plugin ?

Thanks,

Sumit

Brian Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2015

Hi Sumit, https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.deblauwe.jira.plugin.database-values-plugin is one of the plugins i was referring to when I said database custom field. Though that might be a way to implement this.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events