cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Bamboo Plugins Do You Need?

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2012

I have recently been learning and writing some very basic Bamboo Plugins (mostly Tasks). I created a few simple Tasks such as a Task to automatically Label a Plan, to create a ZIP file from one or more files, and other simple types of functionality.It's actually pretty cool to prototype up some code and have it actually do something in Bamboo. I started putting together a crazy long list of Bamboo Plugins that I would like to see that bit-by-bit I have thought about implementing.

It got me thinking what other types of Tasks do people need in their build outside of what they can script in their build tool such as Ant, Maven, etc. ?

Are they simple file, String, I/O, network-related steps your build needs to perform?

Are there external tool integrations missing you would love to see?

Some of my initial ideas, good or bad, include :

- A "Memcached Client" Task that can load data (CSV, Excel, etc) into a Remote Memcached Server

- A Task that works with Apache Codec allowing encryption/decryption of files, text, etc. (assuming this would be combined with SSH/SCP, App Server Deploy Tasks, etc.

- A Task to read/write data to/from an Excel file or CSV file

- A Task to start/stop/manage VMs in the Microsoft Azure Cloud

- A Task to start/stop/manage/deploy to Google AppEngine

- Tasks to work with any of the numerous Amazon AWS services (I already wrote an Amazon S3 plugin).

Any feedback or votes for these or any other plugins ?

10 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Mads Nissen February 25, 2013

Oh, and a NuGet package publish task would be great. The buildscript can easily handle building the .nupkg file, but the publishing part of it incurrs complexity in credentials etc. This would be nice to handle as a separate step where I could place the nupkg as an artifact, and have a bamboo task publish it to e.g. Myget.org (must support private feeds with authentication to be any point).

BTW: we have a powershell script pretty ready to go for VM play / pause that we could contribute to someone who wants to implement this as a bamboo plugin. Let me know! twitter.com/madsnissen

Mads Nissen February 25, 2013

and oh; we do have a nuget package publish script working in msbuild today too if its helpful for reference:)

1 vote
Mads Nissen February 22, 2013

We really need a plugin for managing Azure VMs.

Also we'd like a plugin to better present .NET compilation warning reports after build.

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2013

A plugin for Azure VMs is definitely already on my short list. Any specific functionality needed other than start/stopa VM ?

Additionally, can you provide a few details in regards to "present .NET compilation warning reports after build."

1 vote
Saran September 24, 2012

Thanks Adam , Your plugins are helpful. It would be great to have the below plugins

1. Stage Level Permissions . We can restrict that only few uers can run some stages in a plan

2. Run Customized Stages. Right now, You can run plan with Custom varaible . It will be nice to have Stages to be run with Custom Variables

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2012

Atlassian is currently working on Stage-Level permissions, so I will probably not tackle that one. See the Jira request here : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-9613

Regarding Running customized stages, I'll check through the requests for enhancements, but not sure I've seen it before. Might be a good candidate for an RFE to Atlassian vs a standalone plugin. I'll think through it. Thanks for the idea.

0 votes
Mads Nissen February 23, 2013

With Azure VMs I think start/stop is the big deal. The rest can be done from the build scripts and/or powershell. The start should have some poll/waitready functionality, and it would also be nice to be able to signal start (before compile stage), so it might be up when build gets to QA/integration test stage.

Compilation warnings (such as usage of obsolete methods etc) are currently hidden deep down inside the build logs like this:

(CoreCompile target) ->
23-feb-2013 11:31:47 Native\RepositoryService\SpListItemMapper.cs(72,46): warning CS0618: 'Pzl.Runtime.SharePoint14.Native.RepositoryService.SpListItemMapper<TPoco>.GetTypedPropertyValue(object, string, System.Type)' is obsolete: 'All this work should be done with Native specific parsers' [C:\inetpub\bamboo-agent-home332\xml-data\build-dir\RT-MP-COMPILE\Pzl.Runtime.SharePoint14\Pzl.Runtime.SharePoint14.csproj]
23-feb-2013 11:31:47 Native\RepositoryService\SpListItemMapper.cs(107,47): warning CS0618: 'Pzl.Runtime.SharePoint14.Native.RepositoryService.SpListItemMapper<TPoco>.GetTypedPropertyValue(object, string, System.Type)' is obsolete: 'All this work should be done with Native specific parsers' [C:\inetpub\bamboo-agent-home332\xml-data\build-dir\RT-MP-COMPILE\Pzl.Runtime.SharePoint14\Pzl.Runtime.SharePoint14.csproj]
23-feb-2013 11:31:47
23-feb-2013 11:31:47 19 Warning(s)
23-feb-2013 11:31:47 0 Error(s)

This should ideally be presented on the build summary page along with the test results to increase visibility of the cruft.

0 votes
Saran September 24, 2012

I'm lookig for

0 votes
tkhduracell
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2012

Draft

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2012

Filip - the image shows as broken.

0 votes
Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2012

Can you clarify what you mean by an "inline in a job-result"? Do you mean as an Artifact, or linked off the build result with its own Tab?

0 votes
tkhduracell
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2012

AwesomeSauce!

We are running tests that produces logs in html format, would be awesome to be able to pick them upp and present them inline in a job-result

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2012

Can you post a look to the tool? I did some googling and found nothing.

0 votes
Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2012

That's awesome! I will check it out! Yeah I will look forward to seeing the more advanced version as well.

0 votes
Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2012

A plugin that would allow there to be "owners" of agents... then if the agent goes offline or fails to build something, then that "owner" can be emailed.

Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2012

That's awesome! I will check it out! Yeah I will look forward to seeing the more advanced version as well.

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2012

Cameron,

I actually just published this plugin : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.pronetbeans.bamboo.agentutils-basic which allows for Agent Offline notification in the Admin > System Notification page.

I already have a more advanced version of this plugin working in my local test environment where you can specify the the "owner" of the agent and receive individual notification per agent. I expect to have it available in the next few weeks.

Adam

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2012
Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2012

Any new requests?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events