Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using REST/SOAP to generate reports in JIRA

Eric Gross September 19, 2012

I want to generate regular reports in JIRA based on filters that I have already created. I was thinking of using the REST API to create a python script that will do this automatically, but I've never used REST/JSON before. If I used the REST API, would I be able to generate reports that could be emailed to someone, and would I be able to use the same data later in other applications (to graph, chart, etc.)? Would I be better off using the SOAP API (I haven't used this before either)? Am I overlooking an easier way of doing this?

Also, what would I need to do to start using the REST/SOAP API? Does anything need to be installed on the JIRA server?

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2012

Consider using the JIRA Command Line Interface to avoid the programming. getIssueList or other actions.

Eric Gross September 19, 2012

Ah, okay. That looks like it might be a little bit easier. If I were to go with using SOAP/REST, would I be able to pull the data I'm looking for (issues open based on filters)? I'm leaning slightly towards SOAP (although it isn't being developed anymore) because I will be importing this data to MS Excel at some point.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2012

Certainly SOAP works with a filter. For REST, I think you use the JQL search and specify in the JQL to use the filter.

Eric Gross September 20, 2012

Would I be able to email the issue list once it is obtained through the JIRA CLI?

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2012
Yes. Output the result to a file (file parameter) and the send as an attachment. It is a csv file format.
0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2015

The SQL for JIRA plugin is a insanely powerful alternative to REST for reporting....

0 votes
mwarton
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2014

You can also try a plugin like Intelligent Reports which makes creating regular scheduled reports easy. You design your report Template in Microsoft Word, then choose the data to fill it with using simple point and click rules, no scripting or API to learn. You can then generate reports on demand or schedule them to be delivered to you by email every day, week, etc.

0 votes
Yogendra Jat November 22, 2012

Hi, Could you also able to fetch sub-version commits values? If yes how?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events