Too many simultaneous connections Gmail error

I use JETI plugin and I have this error

=====> atlassian-jira-incoming-mail.log <=====

2014-10-20 16:12:17,783 ERROR [issues.jira@movile.com] QuartzScheduler_Worker-0 ServiceRunner APT - Issues APT - Issues[10520]: Error connecting to host 'imap.gmail.com' as user 'issues.jira@movile.com' via protocol 'imaps': javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: [ALERT] Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure)
javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: [ALERT] Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure)
 at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore.protocolConnect(IMAPStore.java:665)
 at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:295)
 at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService$MessageProviderImpl.getAndProcessMail(MailFetcherService.java:221)
 at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService.runImpl(MailFetcherService.java:388)
 at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.file.AbstractMessageHandlingService.run(AbstractMessageHandlingService.java:257)
 at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:61)
 at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:48)
 at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195)
 at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520) 

I have already seen that Gmail has a 15 connection limit on IMAP servers. Is there a way to solve this problem? And, case not, will i lose information or does JIRA retry creating tickets?

2 answers

Hi, 

I have not seen this kind of problem with JETI so far, but I do believe it is not related to JETI.

IMAP email connections to email accounts are managed by JIRA not by JETI, as the stacktrace reflects it.

By default Mail Fetcher Service is connecting every minute for new emails. 

Is the connection to gmail.com fast? Slow network or stuck connections may also cause this problem I think.

It may be enough to increase the period, the service is checking emails. Perhaps increasing it from 1 minute to 3 or 5 is enough.

You can increase this in JIRA Administration / Services / Mail Fetcher Service.

There is also a Delay parameter in the Mail Handler in Administration / Incoming Mails. You may wan to try to increase it as well.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published 6 hours ago in Statuspage

194 years of downtime: looking back on incident data from 2018

Statuspage customers logged more than 194 years of collective incidents in 2018. That’s a whopping 87% increase from the  104 years logged in 2017 , and we aren’t even through December yet....

18 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you