Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sum of estimates for assignee, sprint, in general

Christen Lorensen September 29, 2013

Hi

I constantly seem to be missing a sum-up field everywhere in Jira. Where ever I see numbers I want a fast sum on the numbers.

Ie. It would be nice to see each assignee workload:

Found this: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/59995/best-method-to-compare-team-member-sprint-load

But the workload pie chart does not really solve my need.

When I am looking at a started sprint in planning mode i Agile then I would like to see the sum of the issues estimation (stories point or original estimates), and it should reflect what I am looking at. So ie. I put on a filter that only shows issues from one assignee (or group), the sum should be only his points.

When I am in the work mode of Agile then I see the subtasks of a stories and i see their original estimates, but the super issue og the stories shows me the number of issues that inside it (usually 2-7 task, easily counted).

It would be nice to be able to select a pile of issues (Agile work/plan mode) and get the sum of the estimates on them.

When making an issue search I can get ie. original estimates, but it would be so nice if it also summed up the total.

Why is it as a scrum master my most trusted tool is a calculator and I have to put a lot of the same data in an excell sheet. When it would be so easy to put inside Jira/Agile. Am I doing it wrong, is there secret setting. I found some plug-ins that sort of give me reports that reflect this data. But I would really like to see the sum where I am working with it not having to move back and forth.

6 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
JulianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2013

Hey,

we recently released a plugin that calculates totals... You might want to check it out:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.cps.sumUp

Cheers

Julian

2 votes
drabiger August 6, 2018

In case you are happy to see the sum in a Jira scrum board, I just added a Chrome extension to the webstore. Might ease your pain a little:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/estimations-sum-for-jira/mmbocjepfajlidapdnikdjebbdfjgbki

0 votes
Raimundas Juska
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2018

Please take a look at this addon - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219429/status-progress-report-gadget-for-jira with it you can create dashboard with the required data.

0 votes
Lukas Klingel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 21, 2016

Is there a solution for JIRA Cloud?

I need also sums in the issue list view for estimates. Our workaround is to export to Excel and create sums in there, which is super complicated.

I saw it working in a JIRA on premise version. I think it was some Tempo Plugin. Maybe thats a solution?

0 votes
Christen Lorensen October 13, 2013

Example:
We have two groups of tasks where we want one of them in the sprint, but we only have X points left in the sprint. So we need to figure out how many points is in each group.

This is but one example. But we do this all the time. Do we pick one over the other, it is all about the cost (time).

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2013

Sprints are all about team commitment, so the estimations are rolled up to the sprint level, not by assignee. Each individual works the highest pioritity task in the todo column until all are done. Stories should not be assigned ahead of time, and assigned when they are picked up.

If you want the information afterwards the workload pie chart and sprint based filters would show you estimates for individuals. You can also use Jamie's Script Runner plugin and the "aggregateExpression" JQL function, but that would not address the agile planning/work views.

It sounds like you are maybe asking for some custom development/plugin to do the reporting you are looking for, which is not really from the core principles of agile/scrum.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events