cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting JIRA and JIRA Development

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2012

Hi all,

I reached this point (have successfully build JIRA source and a WAR file is generaed).

Now as documentation says it should run under tomcat, I did install tomcat 6.0.

I can not understand then what I need exactly I have IDEA IDE , I want to be able to run JIRA in debugging mode and modify the code and re-run JIRA to test the change.

can you please send me a good guidline to ahcieve my goal. I have also eclips indiego developers edition and I insalled all web components for servers like tomcat.

Can I open JIRA project wih source and start running it.

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2012

Debugging JIRA from your IDE means setting some VM arguments. Once done, you can create a remote socket target on the port you gave (as per link). Your local plugin project can have source code associated with it, deploy a plugin, set a breakpoint, connect.

You can also debug with Atlassian SDK embedded JIRA: https://developer.atlassian.com/display/DOCS/atlas-debug.

If you really want to Add a Tomcat to Eclipse you will need to configure it similarly.

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2012

Its ok now, but I need more clarification here, do I need both the source code that was used to generate the .war file for debugging, and in the time of debugging JIRA must be running under tomcate?, the installation files (extracted WAR) and the source files are in different locations.

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2012

If you are making changes, yes. Though, Unless you're going down a big customization effort, why are you even compiling everything? Just get the standalone JIRA download that includes tomcat (or the WAR download), which you havent needed to build, and get the source zip, exploded locally, just add that to the Eclipse (/other) source lookup tree.

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2012

Thanks Andy the picture now is more clear, do u mean run JIRA alone and open the source projec in Eclipse will do the debugging purpose for me?

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2012

But I sill have this problem when I started tomcat, JIRA home is not set, I did set it in the windows environment varibles JIRA_HOME, I'm I missing something? and worked as instruced in the documentation, I build JIRA after I set the JIRA_HOME:

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2012
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2012

You need to give it more PermGen memory. Have a look at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Increasing+JIRA+Memory

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2012

what about this error, afer connecing to database and tables were built on SQL server 2008, I recieved this error after posting the license in the wizard:

HTTP Status 404 - Could not execute action [Setup!input]:PermGen space<p><small><small><pre>java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2012

Yes, but I'm running tomcat 6 and in the bin directory there is no batch files I have only

bootstap.jar

tomcat-juli.jar

tomcat6.exe

tomcat6w.exe,

I ran tomcat6w.exe as an administrator and lunched a dialog

Tomcat 6.0 Properties > JAVA and I can assigne minimum and maximum pool size from there

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2012

I had this error after maximizing the size:

... 130 more

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to delete file: c:\jira\home\plugins\.osg

i-plugins\felix\felix-cache\bundle9\version0.0\bundle.jar

at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.forceDelete(FileUtils.java:1390)

at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.cleanDirectory(FileUtils.java:1044)

at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.deleteDirectory(FileUtils.java:977)

at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.forceDelete(FileUtils.java:1381)

at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.container.impl.DefaultOsgiPersistentCache.v

alidate(DefaultOsgiPersistentCache.java:87)

... 275 more

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events