Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SocketTimeoutException in dynamic macro for Confluence Cloud

CelesteCS July 27, 2016

Hello,

I've created a plugin for Confluence Cloud. Among other things it performs some potentially time-consuming operations (matter of seconds), like loading Confluence pages and reading macro body via REST API calls.

Sometimes I see SocketTimeoutException instead of my dynamic macro output. 

How it can be overcame? I see that there is some 10000 timeout in the Confluence options, but it is not editable.

I believe there is a plenty og dynamic macros, which work longer than given 5-10 seconds, so how they workaround timeout problems?

Thanks!

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2016

In what language / framework are you writing your Atlassian Connect Add-on?

Atlassian Connect will wait 20 seconds before assuming that your add-on has timed out. This means that it is likely the language / framework that you are using that is the source of your timeout issues.

CelesteCS August 1, 2016

Hi Roert,

Thanks for your answer. We are using JAVA on Google Application Engine platform.

Database, which is used, is Google Cloud Database Storage.

Thanks!

Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2016

The Google App Engine request timer (Java/Python/Go) ensures that requests have a finite lifespan and do not get caught in an infinite loop. Currently, the deadline for requests to frontend instances is 60 seconds.

(Source)

For that reason I am confused as to why you would see a timeout in around 10 seconds. I can confirm that Atlassian Connect will wait 20 seconds before timing out your iframes.

I'll pass this on to the Confluence Cloud team to see if this might be an issue they can help resolve. Cheers.

CelesteCS August 2, 2016

Hello Robert,

Thanks for this info. After upgrading from trial to paid account I did not notice this problem yet, so may be the time constraints for trial and paid GAE accounts differ and now everything will go OK smile

Thanks!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events