Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set assignee or reporter using the JAVA api's.

Jason Brison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2013

Hello,

We're developing an internal way to move issues from an old system into the new one by just creating the issues in JIRA using the JAVA api.

We're running into problems when trying to set the reporter and assignee names. When using the code:

issueBuilder.setReporterName("jbrison");

We get the error message:

Exception in thread "main" com.atlassian.jira.rest.client.RestClientException: Field 'reporter' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.

com.atlassian.jira.rest.client.RestClientException: Field 'reporter' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.

Things to note is that, reporter is on all three screens (create, view and edit), and the user exists in the system already. When creating from the UI, I can add the reporter no problem, change the reporter to be someone else, etc.

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

Hello Jason,

I assume your JIRA version is 5.0+ and you are using JIRA Java REST Client (JRJC).

It looks like an authentication issue indeed. Please check if 'reporter' field is on the 'create' screen for not logged in users or check if the user you are using has necessary permissions.

Cheers,
Jacek

Jason Brison
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

It was indeed a permissions issue with the service account our dev was trying to use. Thanks for the help.

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2013

I guess you are not inside a plugin and using the REST client (JRJC) to create issues. Read this post - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/48192/jira-rest-5-0-create-issue-error

It seems JIRA reports this error, but it is actually an authentication issue or an incorrect JSON format being used.

Can you post the POST contents, Jason?

Jason Brison
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

It was an authentication / permissions issue.

Thanks.

0 votes
Ravi Somisetty February 23, 2014

Hello, I have the same issue, but we are not using 5. My client has version 4.X? what needed to be done on this? I checked with the client, he says for the user that I am using has the permission to create the issue. Any leads are highly appreciated.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2013

What version of JIRA are you using?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events