Send mail from a template

Yaron Kufert April 24, 2012

Hi,

I'm looking for a method to send emails from a template, woith an easy way of adding and editing the templates.
Fist, i tried to use the Jira-scripting-suite to write jython scripts to read from confluenc, but i couln't get it to work.

Do any of you ever had to do something similar? and advices?

Regards,

-Yaron

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2012

You could have a look at the code for https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-SendCustomEmail... you could write it in groovy, or continue with python if you prefer.

You can use the confluence remote API to read the templates from confluence, then whatever templating engine you want, to plug the values in.

What you're describing seems perfectly possible... if you have specific issues I'm sure someone will offer more help.

Yaron Kufert April 29, 2012

Thanks for the info!

I've started to write it as you said, now i'm kind of stuck on writing the mail template choosing part, I'm trying to do something like this - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/21273/how-can-i-populate-a-multi-select-custom-field-with-values-from-an-external-source , but to populate a select with page names from confluence. The trubble is that i couldn't find how use JS to connect to the confluence remote API (JSON doesn't support authentications).

I've started writing a web service that will fetch those name for the JS, but i wondered if anyone might think of a better/simpler idea...

Thanks!

k, got most of it done, but have one last problem :(

i've writen a python program whitch get the needed pages from confluence, saves them localy, and writing a javascript containing the names of the files created. Then I used the javascript on the description of a text field, to make it a selectable. so far, all is working fine. My trubble is that i'm trying to use the Behaviours Plugin to load the file and show it to the screen (load it to a writable field) so the user could edit it before sending, but it doesn't seem to work..

the groovy source: (in the Behaviours Plugin):

FormField formUserField = getFieldByName("email_preview")
FormField formMailOption = getFieldByName("email_template")

String tamplate = (String)formMailOption.getValue()
tamplate = tamplate.replaceAll(' ','_')
def input = new File(tamplate)
formUserField.setFormValue(tamplate)

it seems that the '.getValue()' doesn't work on the tweeked field...

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2012

You're trying to set the form value to a File object..., you want "new File(...).text". Also please add some debug so you can see what's going on.

I'm not using the file yet, trying to get the string into the field:

FormField formUserField = getFieldByName("email_preview")
FormField formMailOption = getFieldByName("email_template")
String tamplate = (String)formMailOption.getValue()
formUserField.setFormValue(tamplate)

the 'email_template' field is a short text field with the following description:

<script type="text/javascript">
var fieldId = "customfield_10801";
AJS.$(document).ready(function() {
    console.log("val: " + AJS.$("#" + fieldId).val());
    AJS.$("#" + fieldId).parent().append("<select class='select' id='" + fieldId + "' name='" + fieldId + "'></select>");
    AJS.$("input#" + fieldId).hide();
        var select = AJS.$("select#" + fieldId);
select.append("<option>Send solution</option>");
select.append("<option>New case</option>");
AJS.$("input#" + fieldId).remove();
});
</script>

The 'email_template' field is an unlimited text box.

the error logs:

2012-04-30 17:13:23,473 http-8080-1 ERROR yaron 1033x5381x1 mrsja1 192.168.0.105 /rest/com.onresolve.jira.plugin.Behaviours/1.0/behaviours/runvalidator.json [onresolve.jira.groovy.BehaviourManagerImpl] Something went wrong with  method run in class
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Send solution"
        at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65)

YEY :) finally got it to work !!! i had to use 'getFormValue()' instead if 'getValue()' and now it works like a charm =D

Many thanks for your help, great plugin!!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2012

No problem. You could mark my answer as correct if it was helpful...

If anyone wonders I used a python script to download the content of the email templates from confluence, and saved them localy to the Jira server as well as creating a Javascript file containing all of the confluence page titles. Then i used that Javascript as a description of a text custom field to make it a dropdown menu that contains all of the mail templates (confluence page titles).

Next I used the Behaviours Plugin to display the content of the template that was choosen to the screen and allow the users to edit it. I did that using Groovy validation script.

The last part was another python script as a post script (Jira scripting suit plugin) that send the email to any of the emails that were entered in another custom field.

@Jamie Echlin thanks alot!!! been very helpfull :)

if anyone needs some more info feel free to post here.

Yaron

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2012

No problem. Interesting solution. I would have used groovy for the whole lot but YMMV ;-)

2 votes
mnatives acl April 29, 2012

spam

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events