Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for content on tabs (maybe only theme press)

Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

I would like to run something by the wisdom of Answers, and particularly Brikit Theme Press experts.

We've got an information resource built using Theme Press tabs. Each page is about a product, and each tab has a different category of information. The information on the tabs is pulled in from pages in a separate space (we call those tab pages), and search in the info space is limited to searching that space so that when someone searches for info, they end up being directed to the main page (what we call the rollup page), rather than to one of the tab pages.

The problem is that if someone searches for info on one of the tabs, the search link puts them on the page with the default tab showing, and they have no way of knowing which tab actually has the info they're looking for.

I thought of a solution, and have implemented it as a test, and it works.

The solution is to put copies of each of the tab pages in the main space, and put a redirect on each of those pages so that when you view that page you get redirected to the main page with the proper tab showing.  (The redirect is of the form http://confluence/display/pagename#pagename-tabname, which acts like an anchor link to display a particular tab.)  Now, the tab pages appear in the search, and when you click on one of them, you end up on the right rollup page with the right tab showing.

If you've read this far, thanks.  My question is: Is there a better way to accomplish this?  This is being built by a script, so it isn't hard to setup, but it is fundamentally a bit of a Rube Goldberg arrangement.

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kelli Hoyt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

Hi Jonathan,

Impressed with your ingenuity and creativity in finding a workaround!

We don't currently have a way to fine-tune the searching capability for tabbed content, unfortunately. Note, though, that we've created a ticket to look into a possible solution: https://brikit.atlassian.net/browse/PRESS-871

Sorry to not have better news! And thanks for sharing your workaround.

cheers,

Kelli

Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2014

Thanks, Kelli!

0 votes
Arianna Royster January 4, 2019

I am having the same issue with the Scroll Viewport Tabs. If you conduct a search, and the content is in one of the tabs, it will direct you to the default tab. 

Do I also have to create a work around for this? This is crucial for our users because they can't find what they are looking for.

Thanks!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events