It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Removing inactive users in JIRA

Hi All,

In our Jira 4.4 version we have around 100 Projects and more than 1000 users.We are using Jira for a very long time and the user count has been growing steadily.

So my question is How can I delete the user from JIRA if

1.There are issues where the user who I intend to delete is a reported,assignee,participant etc.

Jira doesnt allow me to delete the user if the above point is true.

Is there anyway where I can make the user inactive in Jira or delete the user without affecting any issue history.

Any Ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Regards

Sathish

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

You shouldn't delete the user because JIRA crashed when it finds an issue where the participating user is deleted. Instead, you can remove the user from all permissions including the Jira User permission (jira-users group by default).

When you do the latter, the user is not even counted in the list of active users for licensing.

We go one futher. All inactive users are put into a group called 'Inactive users'. It is easy to see at a glance who is inactive. Also, I don't have to ever worry about them mysteriously showing up in a permission scheme because these users are ONLY in the inactive users group. and that group is NEVER used in any permission scheme.

That's what we do. We have requirements for keeping a history etc., but of course Atlassian doesn't punish us for these users from long ago (both from legacy systems and turnover).

Thanks for your reply.Does large number of user will impact the performance of Jira? We have more than 1k users and we see JIRA is very slow.

Does deleting the users will improve the performance by anychance?

Regards

here is an answer:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/scaling-jira-461504619.html#ScalingJIRA-UsersandGroups

for caching purposes:

Conclusion

• the absolute number of registered users and groups does not seem to have a significant impact on JIRA performance, other than for issue creation.
  • however, the load put on JIRA from the increased number of concurrent users impacts the overall JIRA performance. Please refer to the JIRA Data Center Performance page to understand the nature of this impact.

We don't have all those user in one JIRA instance. We have < 200 in the instance we're standing up now as a demo instance and transitioning projects onto. So far, the basic Atlassian advice "don't run it on a VM" seems to be the case. My macosx instance at home is gajillions of times faster than a VM here at work...instant response.

I think performance in JIRA, like a lot of things, is going to be a million little things.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Off-topic

Friday Fun: Virtual dance party!

Do dance parties help you relieve stress? How about *virtual dance parties*? My team holds virtual dance parties to brighten the mood of a tough day or celebrate an upcoming weekend.  Want t...

180 views 21 9
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you