Obfuscated jira plugins

Andrzej Pasterczyk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2012

I'm starting to develop a commercial Jira plugin. Since it's quite trivial to get the jar and decomplie the classes within to either reverse engineer or modify the code I was thinking about possibility to obfuscate it.

1. Is it possible to do that without breaking the plugin functionality (if the answer is 'No' just skip all the other questions :) )
  2. Does that affect Jira or plugin in a negative way (e.g. performance aspects)
  3. Is it often used by other plugin developers.
  4. Any good tools you can recommend.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2012

If it modifies class/package names you will need to make it either not do that, or keep your plugin.xml up to date with that. Agree with Vitaly, should be fine. Fisheye is obfuscated, although it makes a mess of web.xml.

1 vote
VitalyA February 29, 2012

Hi,

I think that a good obfuscator would not break any functionality. Some of them only randomise variable and function names, some try doing more complex obfuscation. You could just try using one and see how it goes.

Vitaly

Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2013

Hi,

Would anyone have an example of a pom.xml section to trigger Proguard or any other obfuscator?

Thx,

F.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events