Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying View Issue Screen

Thomas Mitchell July 16, 2013

Hi,

I'm looking to create a very simplified (for the end-user) installation of JIRA.

Specifically, I want to edit the View Issue screen and remove functionality that won't be used, such as the "More" button at the top, and especially the "All", "Activity", "Source" and "Reviews" tabs under the Activity section.

I'm fairly sure this isn't possible through admin or even writing a standard plugin (though I'd be happy to find I'm wrong).

What files would I need to edit to do this? Do I need to edit one of the jars in "atlassian-bundles-plugins.zip"? Or is there an xml file in WEB-INF/classes/templates/plugins that needs to be changed? Or would I need to modify the actual JIRA source and rebuild?

Thanks!

8 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

you can hide the tab panels using javascript, try with the following code

<script type="text/javascript">
jQuery(document).ready(function() {
//to hide the Activity Tab
	AJS.$('#activity-stream-issue-tab').hide();
	//To hide the All Tab
	AJS.$('#all-tabpanel').hide();
	//to hide the worklog tab
	AJS.$('#worklog-tabpanel').hide();
//you can add code here for remaining functionality

});
</script>

add the above script in footer.jsp

Dan27 July 24, 2018

Hi @Thomas Mitchell , @Paul Pasler , @Alex Perez

Can you help me understand where can I put this script ??

Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2018

Hi Daniel,

you can add this script to the "Announcement Banner" section in Jira:

System, Edit announcement Banner, paste somewhat like ..

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=UA-39ssxx2"></script>
<script>
window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];

<-- end of script -->

I ofter use this section to include the google analytics scripts.

If your scripts are specific to some custom fields, you can paste the script in the description section of the relevant field, so they will be included in any screen including the custom field.

HTH

0 votes
Hardik Parekh September 9, 2015

Hi All,
So only problem is that this Activity tab(any hide tab) is still shown when I click one of shown tabs (All\Comment\Work log) so any idea how to hide remaining tan on click event as well ?
Thanks,
Hardik

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2014

Just step in to show the Feature Request created related to this:

Create a custom tab in JIRA issue view

It will help a lot if we can create a "custom" tab in the Activity session of the Issue View, so we can define which information is important to show to the customer or not in one single tab, hiding the other ones.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Andre

0 votes

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

I found that using jQuery to hide the tabs works initially, but when you click one of the remaining tabs the others reappear.

Using plain CSS works great though, here's what I'm using at present:

<style type="text/css">
#all-tabpanel { display: none; }
#activity-stream-issue-tab { display: none; }
#fisheye-issuepanel { display: none; }
#crucible-issuepanel { display: none; }
</style>

I put that in:

atlassian-jira/includes/decorators/aui-layout/head-common.jsp

So that it would be in the <head> element of the page, though eventually I'll need to put it in an actual plugin.

Thanks again for the help!

Paul Pasler
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 16, 2013

Bind your jQuery to JIRA Event, cause after partial-reload (p.e. AJAX) all bindings are gone.

JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, function(e, context, reason) {
        //Your Code here!
});

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

What about going to the Admin panel and disabling some system add-ons? Im pretty sure that these buttons are provided by a system add-on. Activity stream, clone operation, comment tabs ... all of these UI components are controlled by a add-on system plugin (or module)

HTH

0 votes
Paul Pasler
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 16, 2013

Hi Thomas,

my first thought was, write your own Web-Serivce, which use the JIRA REST API? So you don't have to remove things, instead you can add all the things you need.

Second thought, simply hide the buttons with jQuery (may be a lot buttons).

I would not recommend to edit the JIRA core (p.e. Updates may not bepossible)

Greetz paul

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013
There are a couple of ways of doing it. You can try going the CSS/js route and add in a plugin tat just has resources that hides the pieces. You can also go the more drastic option and editing source code. I wouldn't recommend that though since upgrades will be a bear. Depending on what you're trying to remove/make easier - you could also just set up a seperate app and use the rest interface to communicate with Jira.
0 votes

I'd also like to remove sections of the top nav bar as well...

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events