Limit number of issues assigned to a user

Hi JIRA,

I wanted to know if there is a way to limit the number of issues assigned to a specified user in Jira. Some sort of constraint or workflow condition that we can add to make a creation of a new issue to a user with too many issues assigned to, impossible.

Cheers

Taha

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

No, there's no limits in Jira off-the-shelf. You'd need to write something that would prevent creation of an issue if the currently selected assignee is overloaded, but I'm not sure you could stop the later assignment of existing issues.

I don't actually think this is quite the right approach either. It's not actually of any use to say "can't assign issues to user because they have too many", it's far more useful to allow the assigning of as many as you like, but then limit the status. i.e. "can't move this issue to in-progress because the user already has 10 story points assigned to them in-progress and hance can't absorb any more work this sprint". Also consider a standard way of working in real life - I've been in my current role for a couple of years and have accumulated about 7000 issues assigned to me. Most of them are closed, and hence don't count. I'm only interested in the 5 I'm currently working on.

Greenhopper does allow the workload limiting as well, although that's aimed more at teams/projects and still works on status rather than user

Thank you Nic for your answer, after all as suggested we decided to limit the number of issues In-Progress using Story limit.
Cheers
Taha

Can you please paste the link for this "Story limit" Taha?

@Taha Derouiche +1 . How do you decided using story limit? Thx

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Thursday in Summit

Find a your Summit 2019 Buddy!

Can you believe there's less than one month until Summit 2019? It's time to start planning your agendas, not to mention packing ... In the meantime, introduce yourselves on this thread so that you ...

222 views 15 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you