It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira ServiceDesk API - attachments endpoints not available

I am trying to set up JIRA servicedesk API with my application. All is going well so far, but I would like the ability to attach a file to a newly created request.

According to the documentation (https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-servicedesk/REST/server) this is done through two endpoints:
 - /servicedesk/{serviceDeskId}/attachTemporaryFile
 - /request/{requestIDorCode}/attachment

However, attempting to access either of these endpoints returns 404. They are marked as experimental on the documentation, so I wonder if they have been removed and no one has updated the docs? Is this the case? If so, is there any other way I can go about adding an attachment to a ticket? If not... well, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Mina Samy Atlassian Team Nov 08, 2016

Hi Clark,

These two end-points were not removed, the documentation is up to date. But note that the URL you posted will point you to the latest server version, my guess is you're running an older version that does not have the end-points.

Alternatively, you can use the JIRA REST API to add attachments: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/server/#api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/attachments-addAttachment

Two things to keep in mind though:

• The link above is also to the latest JIRA server version, make sure you use the documentation version that matched the JIRA version you're running
  • Adding attachments this way will NOT make it visible to JIRA Service Desk external customers automatically and you will need to add a comment referencing the attachment yourself (with another REST call) in order for external customers to see it (external customers only see attachments if they are referenced in public comments).

Thanks for the response Mina, that's really helpful!

It looks like the version of JIRA server we are using right now is v7.1.4, and JIRA service desk v3.19. Could you point me to documentation for this version / these versions?

I would really like to use the servicedesk API if I can. If your theory is correct, would this require an upgrade of the entire JIRA server software or just the helpdesk?

Thanks!

Mina Samy Atlassian Team Nov 09, 2016

so if you click "All versions" for JIRA or JIRA Service Desk on this page: https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+APIs you should be able to choose the correct documentation version. 

If you do need to upgrade JSD you will also need to upgrade JIRA, but it seems you are already running recent versions so it should be a straight-forward upgrade. My guess is you'll want to upgrade JIRA to 7.2 and JSD to 3.2. Should you have any problems or questions regarding upgrades, please feel free to contact us at support.atlassian.com.

Hi Clark,
yesterday morning I stumbled upon your question because I had the same problem. Earlier I was able to solve it taking a look to an old piece of code of mine: try to add 

-H "X-Atlassian-Token: no-check"

to your request, it worked for me. I probably took this from an old version of the SD Rest Api doc: I'm using last version of both SD and Rest Api doc, and this header is not documented.

Marco

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in United States

Welcome new members!

Wow, I got swamped and now that I've finally gotten my head back above water, I find we have several new members! Welcome @Darren Keith lowman , @Amanda Babb , @Luis Zapata , @Joli Holmes , and @bh...

33 views 0 2
View post

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you