Jira ServiceDesk 3.3.2 Customer Portal not working. How to fix it?

Anybody?

2 answers

Figured out myself:

There's a bug in Jira ServiceDesk 3.3.2 that prevents customer portal from working properly in IE, Safari and probably elsewhere: this version introduced two javascript-files:

• sd.portal.api.bundle.js
  • sd.project.api.bundle.js 

The files contain "arrow functions" (... () => {...} ...)

I was able to fix customer portal by replacing arrow functions with normal ones.
As you probably know many browsers still lack ES6 support, so it would be advisable not use this functions.

Regards

I was able to fix customer portal by replacing arrow functions with normal ones.

@Vladislav Babin would you mind providing specific instructions on this procedure please? Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with javascript to work this out.

Thanks!

1. Shutdown JIRA SD and backup you SD installation!
  2. Find all instances of file jira-servicedesk-3.3.2-REL-0010.jar (there should be two identical files in /opt/atlassian/servicedesk/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/application-installation/jira-servicedesk-application/ and in /var/atlassian/application-data/servicedesk/plugins/installed-plugins/ folders if you use default install paths)
  3. Copy any of the files to a temporary folder and unzip it
  4. Note the two javascript files mentioned earlier. Do search for pattern "() =>" and replace () => {...} with function() { ... }.
  5. Zip it back to jira-servicedesk-3.3.2-REL-0010.jar and replace original files with your patched version
  6. Start JIRA SD
  7. Clean your browser cache and navigate to a customer portal. It should be working now.

If you want me to send you a patched version of the file PM to admin @ mesilat.com

@Vladislav Babin

I don't know who you are or where you are, but THANK YOU for posting the fix for this issue. I never post on these forums (definitely a lurker/consumer), but your fix here was right on the money for getting this working again. I had to get on here to say thanks. We recently updated to JSD 3.3.2 and experienced this same issue. I, like Simon, am not super proficient with Javascript, so I never would have tracked that down on my own. Hopefully Atlassian releases an official fix soon. You deserve gold stars and a pay raise!

Keep being awesome, my friend!

Unfortunately the fix didn't work for me. We have JIRA server, installed from tar.gz (not binary) so the install paths differ. I also only found one instance of jira-servicedesk-3.3.2-REL-0010.jar (ours in /.../jira-home/plugins/installed-plugins/jira-servicedesk-3.3.2-REL-0010.jar).

Despite editing that file per @Vladislav Babin's instructions above we saw the same blank page displayed in IE11.

So now we are waiting on the official fix from Atlassian. If only they undertook thorough regression testing before each release! In future we will have to take on this task ourselves.

Simon,

We only have one instance of the file in our environment as well. We are running out JIRA environment on a Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 server, not Unix/Linux. Ours was located in our JIRA application data folder, in the same location you specify.

When you edited the JS files, did you replace the "() =>" with "function()" ? Minus the quotes of course. The first time I did it, I misread and used just the () and it didn't work. If it helps, I used 7zip to unpack the JAR, and then I used it to open the JAR files and put the edited JS files in the SAME JAR file. I DID NOT pack a new one.

I feel you on that last part. Our team is small, and we don't always have time to thoroughly test updates. No one prefers to test updates in production, but unfortunately that ends up happening from time to time.

Good luck!

Shane, what did you use to edit the .js files?

AFAIK I followed the exact same procedure you did, though I wonder if our editing app added some whitespace or carriage returns inadvertently when saving...

Simon, this is Shane.

I used Notepad++ to edit the files. I did a Find and Replace on "() =>" and replaced with "function()". After that, I just saved the files without modifying them further. I then opened the original JAR file, deleted the two JS files, and then drag and dropped the edited files into the JAR file.

Simon,

it is very easy to see what's going wrong in your IE: press F12 to open the developer's console and navigate to your customer portal. In "Console" tab you will see any errors and code lines where this errors are happening. Make sure that none of () => {} functions appear in javascript. Also do not forget to clean the browser cache.

Regards

Hello Vladislav,

this is a community based forum.

Support: https://support.atlassian.com

In general, this is too little information to help you.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted 13 hours ago in Agile

What is Scrum? A good, bad, and ugly answer.

In a world of dark-scrum, faux-scrum, and scrum-butt, the question still remains: What is scrum and how do you do it “right?” That’s the question we set out to answer. I'm Max, I've been teaching c...

57 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you