Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA on Synology Diskstation

Rene Ge December 24, 2014

Is it possible to install JIRA on a Synology Diskstation (2GB, DS415+)? Because it's actually just Java. 

I tried the Linux installer (./atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin), but that doesn't work. This is the error log file:

Exception:
com.install4j.api.beans.UndefinedVariableException: installer:jiraAccountName
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables$InstallerReplacementCallback.handleError(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables$InstallerReplacementCallback.getReplacement(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.util.StringUtil.replaceVariable(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables.replaceVariables(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerVariables.replaceVariables(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.api.beans.AbstractBean.replaceVariables(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.text.ModifyTextFileAction.getReplaceValue(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.text.ModifyTextFileAction.modifyFile(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.files.AbstractModifyFileAction.executeForSingleFile(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.files.AbstractModifyFileAction.executeForMultipleFiles(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.files.AbstractModifyMultipleFilesAction.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.SystemInstallOrUninstallAction.install(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerContextImpl.performActionInt(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl.performAction(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.executeActions(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.executeActions(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.handleCommand(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.start(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)
System properties:
java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
exe4j.moduleName=/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin
sun.boot.library.path=/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/lib/i386
java.vm.version=25.11-b03
java.vm.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.vendor.url=http://java.oracle.com/
path.separator=:
java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
user.country=US
sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
sun.os.patch.level=unknown
install4j.exeDir=/volume1/Tomcat/
java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
user.dir=/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir
java.runtime.version=1.8.0_11-b12
java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
java.endorsed.dirs=/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/lib/endorsed
os.arch=i386
java.io.tmpdir=/tmp
line.separator=
java.vm.specification.vendor=Oracle Corporation
os.name=Linux
exe4j.totalDataLength=288328583
proxySet=false
sun.java2d.noddraw=true
sun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8
java.library.path=/usr/java/packages/lib/i386:/lib:/usr/lib
java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
java.class.version=52.0
sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Tiered Compilers
os.version=3.2.40
i4j.vpt=true
install4j.cwd=/volume1/Tomcat
user.home=/root
user.timezone=GMT+01:00
java.awt.printerjob=sun.print.PSPrinterJob
file.encoding=UTF-8
install4j.jvmDir=/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre
java.specification.version=1.8
java.class.path=i4jruntime.jar:user.jar:user/commons-codec.jar:user/commons-httpclient.jar:user/commons-io.jar:user/dom4j.jar:user/inception.jar:user/modzdetector.jar:user/slf4j-api.jar:user/slf4j-jdk14.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/user/commons-httpclient.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/user/commons-codec.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/user/slf4j-api.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/user/modzdetector.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/user/dom4j.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/user/commons-io.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/user/slf4j-jdk14.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/user/inception.jar
user.name=root
install4j.executionMode=console
java.vm.specification.version=1.8
sun.java.command=com.install4j.runtime.launcher.Launcher launch com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer false false false true false true true 0 0 20 20 Arial 0,0,0 8 500 version 6.3.12 20 40 Arial 0,0,0 8 500 -1
java.home=/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre
sun.arch.data.model=32
user.language=en
java.specification.vendor=Oracle Corporation
awt.toolkit=sun.awt.X11.XToolkit
java.vm.info=mixed mode
java.version=1.8.0_11
java.ext.dirs=/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/lib/ext
sun.boot.class.path=/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/lib/resources.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/lib/rt.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/lib/sunrsasign.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/lib/jsse.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/lib/jce.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/lib/charsets.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/lib/jfr.jar:/volume1/Tomcat/atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x32.bin.8938.dir/jre/classes
java.awt.headless=true
install4j.appDir=/volume1/Tomcat/
i4j.vmov=true
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
file.separator=/
java.vendor.url.bug=http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/
sun.font.fontmanager=sun.awt.X11FontManager
sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
sun.cpu.endian=little
sun.cpu.isalist=

Is there another way to install JIRA (and the others products) for Synology's Diskstation?

5 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Petr Novotny April 1, 2016

For small teams: I've been running JIRA on Synology about 2 years .. DSM Version 3 and 4. JIRA versions 4-5-6 i think. It takes a lot of modifications, but it worked. The problem was that every time you update Synology DSM - I lost after update my custom modifications to the system and Synology threw it and I had to fix some things over and over again, updating JIRA was the same. A lot of work....

But when it ran, so it was great.
For a few users in JIRA - Synology is the perfect device. No additional server for JIRA is not needed. It was much faster than hosted JIRA on Atlassian for a few users.

Due to problems with many updates and it violated the concept of a simple update management synology - I moved it currently to a Windows workstation where it is easy to update and maintain it..... constantly manually fix something was horror.
And I am waiting 3 years for exaclty this: JIRA package for Synology. It can't be that hard to develop this for company like Atlassian. And there are milions of potential users and small businesses and licences based on number of users.

But package must be continuosly updated.. or JIRA must update itself through administration .. in version 7 it looks it can udpate itself through browser. So only problem for occasionaly admin like me is to maintain only my database content and data, work with JIRA.. and not maintain and setting JIRA itself again and again.

Atlassian can make package aslo for QNAP or other NAS vendors. The principle is the same. Why to run another server when you have one with all and better and easy to maintain. There are milions of potential users of this devices who dont know about JIRA... the listed package in NAS app store itself is like free advertising also.

1 vote
elaske January 6, 2016

Rene, I actually wrote what Teilor linked. It's moved here now: http://www.elaske.com/jira-installation-on-synolgy-nas-part-1-introduction/

I also got JIRA and Confluence installed on DSM 5.x. I was actually just going to get back to writing that up this month. 

I was going to start working on a package to take care of the install as well: https://github.com/elaske/jirapkg. Let me know if anything is useful to you.

1 vote
Scott Dudley [Inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2015

There are some recent instructions here for the Atlassian suite on DSM 5.1:

http://pastebin.com/nSsC3Tim (from this Synology forum post)

If you are willing to use the standalone .tar.gz install, you can get away without using the installer (which means you can probably skip installing the packages bash, coreutils and man).

I did not need to install JIRA, but I have Confluence 5.7 running without any visible problems with Java 7 on a DS411+II.

0 votes
Poorak Kashyap October 11, 2018
Can’t we just create a centos VM? 
0 votes
teilor_soares
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2014

Hi Rene.

Synology DiskStation Manager is not a supported platform for JIRA, so the installer will not work out of the box.

As far I know, you will need to perform a lot of modifications in your environment, like the guy who wrote this series of articles did http://www.evanandrose.com/index.php/entry/jira-installation-on-synolgy-nas-part-1

-Teilor

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events