Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA Webhook URL requires basic auth

Frank Febbraro August 2, 2013

Using JIRA 5.2.x

When configuring a webhook if I use a URL like http://user:pass@server/webhook I get an invalid URL when trying to save the form. How else can I possibly setup basic auth for a webhook if not in the URL?

Is it only possibly to post to unauthenticated webhooks?

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marlon Aguiar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2013

Hi Frank,

Is not currently possible to configure Webhooks using basic auth, we have an open improvement request for this to be possible: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-31953

I strongly recommend you to vote for it (so it increases it's priority), add yourself as a watcher (in order to get updates) and if you have the time please add a comment so our DEVs can get the customer's point of view on why this should be implemented.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Marlon

Frank Febbraro September 3, 2013

This limitation is pretty outrageous, however we solved this problem by creating a separate unauthenticated proxy. This new proxy accepts posts from JIRA and then posts to our authenticated service. A gaping security hole, if you ask me, but had to be done.

I've voted on the issue though, thanks for the pointer.

Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2014

Hi Frank,

I encountered the JIRA webhook authentication problem as I posted in https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/313394/jira-webhook-trigger-bamboo-build. What do you mean "creating a separate unauthenticated proxy"? Could you share your workaround?

Thanks,

JC

Frank Febbraro July 10, 2014

JIRA posts (unauthenticated) to an API endpoint I setup. That endpoint then posts (using authentication) to my application. Hope that helps.

Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2014

Frank,

Sorry for my ignorance. Could you provide a more detail steps or examples?

Thanks,

JC

Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2014

I switched to use HTTPRequest-Workflow function add-on instead of Webhooks and it works as expected. My problem has been resolved. Thanks.

Brian S August 12, 2014

Hi. I am just now trying to create a webhook and discovered that my secure url is not supported. Has this been addressesd by Atlassian in a more recent version of JIRA? It's un unusable feature if secure URLs cannot be included in the definition of a webhook.

The version I am using is below.

Atlassian JIRA(v5.2.11#854-sha1:ef00d61)

Saranya U October 25, 2016

Hi. I have used Adaptivist ScriptRunner plugin and am able to achieve this by using groovy script.

1 vote
Saranya U October 6, 2017

Hi. I have used Adaptivist ScriptRunner plugin and am able to achieve this by using groovy script.

Nilan Bhattacharya September 6, 2018

Can you provide some more details on what you did?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events