Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA InProduct translation plugin: How do you migrate custom translations?

Orhan Unal April 4, 2016

Hello,

We have recently started using the InProduct translations JIRA plugin for a PoC system, and we are testing promotion from a development server to a testing server.

On the development server, many internal fields have been translated on the UI to terms that are satisfactory to the end users. However, when attempting to deploy a copy of this JIRA instance to a separate testing server, it seems that none of the translations are applied on the new server. We would prefer not to manually flick through screens translating things again where possible. Our goal is to completely replicate JIRA from one server onto another, this is so far proving tricky with plugins.

Methods we have used to migrate JIRA instances include XML export & import as well as use of the Configuration Manager plugin.

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

Hi,

InProduct translation plugin uses ActiveObjects to store data and JIRA is able to export/import them.

When doing export, please make sure that export zip contains "activeobjects.xml" file.

If JIRA export/import does not work then you can try to save language pack with your translations (from IPT admin page) and then install the language pack in new instance (do it from JIRA admin add-ons section).

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers,
Jacek

Orhan Unal April 4, 2016

Hi Jacek,

Thanks for your response.

I have managed to save the language pack with translations from the dev server, but I'm not sure how to install it onto the test server - please can you assist with that?

EDIT: I figured out how to do this; after downloading the language pack (.jar), it needed to be uploaded onto the new system as an add-on (I was looking for an option on the IPT admin screen), and then the new language pack needed to be set as system default. The result is that the new system now has the field translations as they were.

Thanks,

Orhan

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2016

Excellent! I have updated the answer so it tells explicitly how to install language pack.

Orhan Unal April 5, 2016

I have an update regarding JIRA exporting/importing in relation to field translations.

The system I was exporting from had field translations applied to the language pack "English (United Kingdom)". The system I was exporting to did not have this language pack; instead it had the default "English (UK)". This discrepancy was the cause for not being able to see the translations after performing the import on the new server.

I tested this by making a translation change to the "English (UK)" default language pack on the dev server, then imported the backup into the test server and when I selected "English (UK)" as my language pack, all of the translations were present. Doing this means there is no need to download language packs & install them on new instances as add-ons as long as the translations are applied to a default language pack on the source system.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events