Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA Add on for viewing users working on components

Brock June 30, 2014

I need help finding a JIRA add on that allows users to see which components are currently being worked on. For example, in our shop, we have about 15+ components, but a single developer can be working on 2 or 3 components at a time. Right now there's no way to know if developer A and developer B are working on the same component. This information would come quite handy because developer A's changes may affect developers B's changes if they're working on the same component. Also, it would be nice if this plug in also showed the open issues by components for a user. I've already tried the WorkLoad add on, but it didn't show me which users were working on a given component. Much thanks in advance!

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2014

Most simple approach:

• Create a filter for "all issues being actively worked on" and save it.
  • Create a dashboard, add the "2 dimensional filter statistics" gadget to it, and tell it to use
    • Filter: your filter
    • X Axis: Component
    • Y Axis: Assignee

You've now got a grid showing you what assignee is working on what component. Anywhere in a component column where you've got more than one user, you've got a potential clash.

It won't tell you the "open issues by components" itself, but you can do this in other gadgets.

Brock June 30, 2014

I'm looking for a more of a component entry because just even though the user is assigned to the component, it doesn't mean they're actively working on it. In our shop, we use the component field to hold the names of our web applications. I need something for developers to be able to see all web apps and see who is currently working on it. Essentially, as a developer, I want to see a list of all the components in JIRA. I would then need to somehow "assign" myself to that web app so that people know that I'm working on a project that uses that component. Once I assign myself to that component that component list would update and allow the other developers to know what is being worked on. This could essentially be maintained in Excel by just having a list of all of our web apps and having developers update it peridiocally, but I was hoping that there is some filter, add on, etc. that would take the place of that

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2014

I think the issue here is you have no clear definition of "working on", or even "component". You need to settle on how you are going to represent that in Jira.

I assumed that the rule was that your "component"s are represented by Jira components, and "working on" means "is assigned an unresolved issue with that component".

You'll need to clarify and implement rules before you can try to do any reporting on it. Get the data in first, then you can start thinking about how to use the off-the-shelf stuff or reach for addons.

Brock July 6, 2014

I understand what you are saying, but I'm pretty much just wondering if there is a way to manage components in a way that will allow developers to know who is working on what. Components = Java Web Applications. Working On = developer is working on a project or report that uses a particular Java Web Application. This is mainly to prevent developers from stepping on each other's toes. What I am looking for, if there is such thing, is an add on that will allow me to see a list of components and then a list of developers working on each. The developer would be responsible for adding their name to the list and taking it off when they are done working on the component.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2014

So this isn't actually issues you're tracking in Jira then, it's who is in a project, which is user reporting.

That's quite difficult because there's several ways a person could be included in a project.

Brock July 6, 2014

Have you heard of an add on for a type of thing as I'm describing?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events