Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIM | getting error "Cannot add custom field value: null" while impoting issues using CSV import.

Kamal Saini November 4, 2014

Hi,

Using JIM, I am importing issues in JIRA via .csv import. I am having multiple custom fields (text, single select etc.) in my JIRA instance and when I provide values for those fields in csv it is showing those values correctly to me after issue import.

Now the problem is that I am having two more fields "Impact" and "Likelihood" (The value of "Likelihood" is dependent on "Impact" field value) of single select type for "Risk" issue type. Now, when I import issues having these values it throws errors during import. Below are the errors:

0 projects and 8 issues imported successfully!
Import completed with 7 warnings:
    Cannot add custom field value: null
    The value [ {null=4-High} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Impact ]. The value [ {null=4-High} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format
    The value [ {null=3-Possible} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Likelihood ]. The value [ {null=3-Possible} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format
    The value [ {null="2-Rare"} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Likelihood ]. The value [ {null="2-Rare"} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format
    The value [ {null="2-Medium"} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Impact ]. The value [ {null="2-Medium"} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format
    Show more
What now?
You can download a detailed log of this import. You can also save the configuration for future use.
Check created issues.

I am attaching "Config" file and "csv" file as image here for reference. Can you please suggest me some way here to resolve this issue.

Config-File.png

CSV.png

Thanks,

Kamal

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Kamal Saini November 13, 2014

Hi Tiago,

I got one answer from support person and I was able to resolve the issue. I am adding his reply here may be it can help you too:

=============================context.png

I can reproduce the same error message if the custom fields' context and applicable issue type setting are not accurate. For instance, I set the Impact custom field to be available exclusively for issue type Bug and Project A. Then when I import issues that belong to Project B and/or Feature issue type, the importer won't recognize the custom fields' options and throw the error message instead.

To verify this finding, please set both Impact and Likelihood custom field's context to global and try the import again. Let me know how it goes right away.

============================

Thanks,

Kamal

1 vote
vitaliy zapolskyy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2016

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41282 still unresolved, but there is a workaround

1 vote
Tiago Fernandes November 16, 2014

Thanks for your suggestion, Kamal. I double checked my configurations of issue types and projects, and they were both correct. I did try modifying them to be less restrictive, and when I removed the issue type restrictive (from "bug" only to "any issue type"), it did work. The project context (changing from a single project to global context) doesn't make any difference.

I believe that means there's a bug on the current version of the importer where if the configuration scheme of a custom field calls for a certain issue type instead of accepting any issue type, the importer will spit out that error saying "the value can't be found or is in the incorrect format".

0 votes
Tiago Fernandes November 13, 2014

I am having the same issues when importing custom fields through the "import issues from CSV" functionality. One thing to be noted is that the admin version through "external system import" works perfectly.

I'm running JIRA v6.2.3#6260-sha1:63ef1d6 with JIM v6.2.7. I've also run the same test on JIRA v6.3.10#6340-sha1:7ea293a with JIM v6.2.7 and I got the same results.

The error I see is:

2014-11-14 04:38:24,954 INFO - Importer started!
2014-11-14 04:38:24,955 INFO - Engine is running in Validation-only mode
2014-11-14 04:38:24,959 INFO - All issues will be imported to project: TEST
2014-11-14 04:38:24,959 INFO - Creating issue: ExternalIssue{externalId=autoid-5703633438985079094, summary=[Thanksgiving 2014][AP Dept Feedback #1] Test issue, issueType=Bug}
2014-11-14 04:38:25,006 WARN - Cannot add custom field value: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.customfields.CFValueHandlerMultiple.handleOptionsHierarchy(CFValueHandlerMultiple.java:76)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.customfields.CFValueHandlerMultiple.prepareCustomFieldValue(CFValueHandlerMultiple.java:40)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.customfields.CustomFieldValueFactory.prepareRawValueForCustomField(CustomFieldValueFactory.java:63)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.BulkCreateCustomFieldsHelper.prepareValueForCustomFields(BulkCreateCustomFieldsHelper.java:47)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.BulkCreateDataImporter.handleCustomFields(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:353)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.BulkCreateDataImporter.externalIssueToInputParams(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:312)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.BulkCreateDataImporter.runImporterEngine(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:150)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.BulkCreateDataImporter.doValidate(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:110)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.ValidationCallable.call(ValidationCallable.java:27)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.ValidationCallable.call(ValidationCallable.java:12)
	at com.atlassian.jira.task.TaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(TaskManagerImpl.java:374)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
	at com.atlassian.jira.task.ForkedThreadExecutor$ForkedRunnableDecorator.run(ForkedThreadExecutor.java:250)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
2014-11-14 04:38:25,008 WARN - The value [ {null=See Description} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Repeatability ]. The value [ {null=See Description} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format
2014-11-14 04:38:25,016 WARN - Cannot add custom field value: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.customfields.CFValueHandlerMultiple.handleOptionsHierarchy(CFValueHandlerMultiple.java:76)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.customfields.CFValueHandlerMultiple.prepareCustomFieldValue(CFValueHandlerMultiple.java:40)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.customfields.CustomFieldValueFactory.prepareRawValueForCustomField(CustomFieldValueFactory.java:63)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.BulkCreateCustomFieldsHelper.prepareValueForCustomFields(BulkCreateCustomFieldsHelper.java:47)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.BulkCreateDataImporter.handleCustomFields(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:353)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.BulkCreateDataImporter.externalIssueToInputParams(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:312)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.BulkCreateDataImporter.runImporterEngine(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:150)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.BulkCreateDataImporter.doValidate(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:110)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.ValidationCallable.call(ValidationCallable.java:27)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.ValidationCallable.call(ValidationCallable.java:12)
	at com.atlassian.jira.task.TaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(TaskManagerImpl.java:374)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
	at com.atlassian.jira.task.ForkedThreadExecutor$ForkedRunnableDecorator.run(ForkedThreadExecutor.java:250)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
2014-11-14 04:38:25,016 WARN - The value [ {null=General Issues} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Client ID ]. The value [ {null=General Issues} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format
2014-11-14 04:38:25,090 ERROR - Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ Repeatability is required. ]

I've tried different combinations of custom fields and they all trigger the same error.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events