Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue type Meaning in JIRA Agile Context

Darly Senecal-Baptiste January 11, 2016

Hi,
Using JIRA Software with agile capabilities for the first time.

Previously in JIRA, we were using a couple of issue types called Enhancements and Bug [Defect], which enable developers to work according to the selected issue type.

Now, using the default configuration of JIRA Agile, I realized that new project creates a new Issue Type Scheme that holds the following: Epic, Story, Task, Bug, and Subtask. As a result, the Enhancement issuetype isn't in that scheme.

I understand that I would include Enhancement into the I.T Scheme; but I would better get a good understanding from your side

• Since Enhancement issuetype is not "longer" part of the JIRA Agile practice:
    • Why is not longer part of it?
    • What other issuetype-ticket developers can commit code against?
    • Is it right to include Enhancement issuetype as part of Agile? Does it create conflict against Story IssueType?
    • Could the mentioned issue type can work along side with Story?
  • What is the difference between Enhancement/Improvement and Story issue type?
  • How do developers in Atlassian understand Enhancement in JIRA Agile context?
  • What does the Enhancement mean?
  • What does the Task [not Sub-Task] mean?

Please advise.

Thanks

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2016

I will try and provide some responses to your questions. Not really answers as everyone should consider their specific circumstances when deciding on how to use JIRA Agile.

Firstly issue types are configurable (with the exception of the Epic issue type) and you can create/rename as appropriate to your business requirements.

However JIRA Agile comes with an out of the box set of Issue types that work for many organisations without the need to configure any other options. 

So if we look at each Issue type in turn we can see how these map against many organisation requirements.

Epics - Large blocks of changes that can run over many sprints to complete implementation.

Stories - A particular change which is typically described using a standard format such as "As a xxxx I want to be able to do xxxx so that I can achieve xxxx". These are written to encapsulate the requirement in a clearly understood way that can be implemented in a single sprint.

Tasks - Some things do not lend themselves so readily to the fixed format of a story and so these can be captured in tasks. Examples here could include refactoring a section of code, checking performance of a particular routine.

Bugs - Are included to capture incidents with the code - different organisation use this in different ways some only applying it to released code, any issues identified prior to release are reported back on the original issue.

Subtasks - These are available to break down the story/task/bug into discrete activities that can be worked on often in parallel to other parts of the same problem.

Now to look at some of your questions.

• Since Enhancement issuetype is not "longer" part of the JIRA Agile practice:
    • Why is not longer part of it?
    PF - Change of issuetypes to reflect a commonly used set. 

• What other issuetype-ticket developers can commit code against?
    PF- Any issuetype can have code committed against it.

• Is it right to include Enhancement issuetype as part of Agile? Does it create conflict against Story IssueType?
    PF -Agile is by definition agile and if it makes sense to your organisation to have Enhancements tracked separately to Stories then that is the right thing to do.
    • Could the mentioned issue type can work along side with Story?
      PF-Yes.

• What is the difference between Enhancement/Improvement and Story issue type?
    PF - Probably easiest to think about how you would typically write the two different issue types. If you struggle to write them in different ways then they are probably the same thing. But if you can succinctly describe a difference in style then it makes sense to split. Alternatively it may be for reporting purposes that you want to distinguish between "new functionality" and "enhanced existing functionality"

If you are not familiar with the subsite www.atlassian.com/agile I would highly recommend you spend some time reading and reviewing the videos present on there.

I hope this helps with increasing your understanding of the different items. In the end there is no single correct way of doing Agile it should always be adjusted to support your business requirements.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events