Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there documentation on REST API differences Bitbucket Server Vs Bitbucket Cloud

BjornW March 15, 2016

I'm working on supporting Bitbucket Server (aka Stash) with https://github.com/afragen/github-updater so that users of this plugin may use a selfhosted Bitbucket Server (aka Stash) offering WordPress plugin / theme updates.

My questions are:

1. Where can I find an overview of REST API differences between Bitbucket Server & Bitbucket Cloud?
  2. Are there plans to migrate to one REST API for both products, if so which API would be prevalent?
  3. Out of curiosity why are the REST API's so different from each other?

Thanks in advance for your support!

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
BjornW March 15, 2016

Hi @Felix Haehnel, 

Thanks for your quick reply!

Your answer affirms my hypothesis on Bitbucket Server & Bitbucket Cloud being completely different products. A bit annoying, having to support different API's. Not just for me as an external developer just using Atlassian's products, but also for you Atlassian developers supporting it. Anyways, would be nice if this would be mentioned a bit more clearly somewhere on the sales page of Bitbucket Server.

ps: Improving the REST API docs would be great!

Thanks,

BjornW

evzijst
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2016

We're working to improve the documentation. You can go here for a sneak preview of what's coming: https://api-docs.bitbucket.io/bitbucket

1 vote
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2016

Hi @Bjorn W,

there's no comprehensive listing of differences between the Bitbucket Cloud and Server REST APIs that I'm aware of. 

Your best bet would be to look for the endpoints you require in the Bitbucket Server REST API Reference. Note that there's separate References for all the bundled plugins too, which may help you. (We're working on consolidating and improving the REST docs!) 

For comparison, you can use the Bitbucket Cloud REST API documentation.

As for your other two questions: Bitbucket Server (formerly known as Stash) and Bitbucket Cloud really only share a brand name. While the two products share a lot of functionality and features, they were developed individually and thus have quite different looking REST APIs. We know this can be frustrating for developers wanting to support both Bitbucket Cloud and Server, and we do try to align any newly added endpoints where possible. 

Hope this helps, 

Felix

0 votes
afragen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 18, 2018

Is the above information still accurate given the new Bitbucket Cloud API 2.0?

I am the developer of the GitHub Updater plugin and I would like to continue to maintain compatibility.

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2016

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events