Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to copy space permissions from another space?

David A. Lee August 24, 2015

I need a way to quickly set permissions on a new space or quickly change a bunch of existing ones (default space permissions will not work for what I'm trying to do).  The ideal solution would be an option to copy permissions from an existing space from the space permissions page.  Is there a solution that already does this, or is this something I should suggest to the Atlassian people as a suggested feature?  I do not currently have the time to learn how to make my own plug-ins (as much as I really would like to), so an existing solution would be best.  I am using the sub-space plugin to create drop-down menus of spaces at the top of the screen, so having template spaces with the permissions set that I could just copy is not an ideal solution, since there is no way to exclude pages from being included in the menus by the subspace plugin, and it would clutter the menus and confuse users.

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Betsy Walker {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

Using the Confluence Command Line Interface (CLI) add-on, you can run a command against your Confluence instance (Cloud or Server) that uses the addPermissions action to add whatever permissions you want for a individual or group.

This recipe provides an example of using the Confluence CLI to create a space and then assign permissions, so if you ignore the first action (addSpace), it's right on target for what you want!

David A. Lee August 25, 2015

Looks like the copyPermissions action is the closest to what I would like to do. When I get a chance, I'll give it a shot. I've wanted to try this add-on for a while anyway, so this gives me a good reason to finally do it.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

Yes, copyPermission should be good in your case where you already have a space with the right permissions. Or at least it would be a good base from which you can then use addPermissions to complete the setup.

0 votes
Giuliano C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2015

Hi David, 

Depending on the Confluence version that you have, you can consider giving a try to third-party add-ons, such as the Copy Space or the Space Permission Handler add-on. smile

Cheers,

Giuliano T.

Atlassian Support 

David A. Lee August 24, 2015

After some quick testing, it appears that Space Permissions Handler does not do what I'm trying to do. It adds users to space permissions, based on the permissions of another user. What I need is something that will add groups to a space permissions, based on another space. Simply having an option on the space permissions page to copy from another space would be perfect.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events