Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to skip JIRA setup wizard?

Richard Simko [RefinedWiki] August 4, 2015

I'm wondering if it's possible to configure JIRA automatically from the command line? We're looking into using Docker in order to virtualize our test environment but the point is kind of lost if I have to manually configure each new instance. What I want is to skip the steps where I configure what database to use and so on and simply use the most simple default (HSQL, evaluation license etc). The data for the instance will then be loaded using our test cases so there is no need to create a first project either.

6 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted

What seems to have worked is to simply set up the instance on my local machine, then export the entire home directory to a ZIP. I did however need to do some manual work with dbconfig.xml since it has an absolute path do the database. This meant that I had to change <url> to point to the location of the HSQL DB on my docker instance (Which fortunately will stay the same across all installations)

1 vote
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2015

@Richard Simko [RefinedWiki]

This earlier discussion might lead you to what you want - ways to disable tutorial mode in both JIRA and Confluence based on JVM startup parameters:

It's a good conversation at any rate. Takeaways:

• JIRA - modify bin/setenv.sh or bin/setenv.bat with the following param for JVM args:
    • -Datlassian.darkfeature.jira.onboarding.feature.disabled=true
  • Confluence

-wc

I read that answer but unfortunately that was only regarding the tutorial, not the actual setup of the JIRA instance. The tutorial doesn't seem to trigger for the first user created anyway (The master admin account) so that part is fine :)

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2015

(derp) damn, I didn't read your question well enough then. Sorry about that.

Richard Simko [RefinedWiki] August 5, 2015

No worries ;)

1 vote
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2015

Why not just do the basic setup once and then deploy that setup to the docker container once populated with the least amount of data and setup using stacker? https://github.com/cnf/stacker

The problem is that I want to create a Dockerfile which I can re-use across several machines, instead of exporting an image, so I need something which can be done though the Dockerfile.

0 votes
Jens Piegsa November 10, 2016

Thanks for your quick reply. I also haven't found any plugin, that support the idea of an automated setup. Project Configurator, Configuration Management, CLI – they all step in after the installation is complete.

0 votes
Richard Simko [RefinedWiki] November 10, 2016

Sadly no progress at all apart from having a set home directory which we install. Far from an ideal solution though but it works for now, I dread the day when we want to change the test data though wink

0 votes
Jens Piegsa November 9, 2016

Have you made progress on this topic and would you mind sharing some insights?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events