cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import helloworld project into Eclipse fails

Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2013

I'm trying to get the Atlassian SDK set up with Eclipse as per the tutorial but I'm stuck near the end. I've generated Eclipse config files as per Step 2: Generate Eclipse configuration files but I'm stalled at Step 3: Import helloworld into Eclipse. Eclipse refuses to import the project files and let me at the new project.

In step 2 I generated Eclipse config files by going to my workspace dir (C:\atlastutorial\helloworld) and running atlas-mvn eclipse:eclipse. The command completed and the console reported "Wrote Eclipse project for "helloworld" to C:\atlastutorial\helloworld."

In step 3 I tried to import the project into Eclipse, but Eclipse refuses. I'm trying to import an existing project from the root dir of my project (C:\atlastutorial\helloworld). Eclipse seems to find the project, but when I click "Finish" I get an error message saying that the project description is invalid "C:\atlastutorial\helloworld overlaps the workspace location: C:\atlastutorial\helloworld".

I'm fairly confused now. I can see the various project files (.project, .settings, .metadata, .classpath) in C:\atlastutorial\helloworld, but Eclipse just won't grab them. As a workaround I created a new folder at C:\atlastutorial\w and copied C:\atlastutorial\helloworld\src, pom.xml, License.txt and README.txt to the new folder. Eclipse would let me import C:\atlastutorial\w as a project, but I fear that I've created a condition that's going to bite me down the road.

I'm using Atlas version 4.4.1 in the hopes of building a plugin for Jira 5.1.8. Eclipse is v3.6.2 (Helios) running on Windows Server 2008.

Can someone provide guidance?

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2013

Folder location is not an issue.

Ensure your maven has maven support, then, use import existing maven project.

With Eclipse, you have a workspace folder, with projects in, put your 'atlastutorial' in your workspace folder, then use 'import > existing maven project'.

Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2013

Thanks, Andy. One point of clarification, I don't know what you mean by "Ensure your maven has maven support,"

ConradR
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2013

He means eclipse. Check if your eclipse has maven support and then import your helloworld project as a maven project ;)

Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2013

I figured as much, but I'm dealing with multiple unfamiliar elements (Maven, Eclipse, Atlassian SDK) and I have a tenuous grip on how they fit together so I wanted to be sure.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2013

M2Eclipse details available at http://eclipse.org/m2e/download/

1 vote
ConradR
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2013

It's not directly the answer you are looking for, but I prefer IntelliJ IDEA as Java IDE:

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

It has a working Maven support out of the box and there is free community edition, too.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events