cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use custom icons in project sidebar

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2016

I have a JIRA plugin which adds a new tab to the project sidebar in JIRA 7 as defined here via web-item. https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/projects/design-guide-jira-project-centric-view/development-guide-jira-project-centric-view

I want to use a custom icon now, so I guess I need to make it available somehow to CSS and define this in param="iconClass". But where and in which image type to put the icon in my plugin and how to define the CSS class for it?

Any ideas how to do that?

Best regards

Holger

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2016

You need to create a <web-resource/> in your atlassian-plugin.xml and have it serve a single css file that has the background property on the class name that you've created and then use the jira.project.sidebar context on the web-resource.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2016

Great, works fine!

Here is my atlassian-plugin.xml

&lt;web-resource ...&gt;
  &lt;resource type="download" name="versionmanager.css" location="/versionmanager/versionmanager.css"/&gt;
  &lt;resource type="download" name="version_edit.svg" location="/images/version_edit.svg"/&gt;
&lt;/web-resource&gt;

And my css file

.version-manager-icon {
 background-image: url("version_edit.svg");    
}

And web-item in atlassian-plugin.xml

&lt;web-item ...&gt;
  &lt;param name="iconClass" value="aui-icon-large version-manager-icon"/&gt;
&lt;/web-item&gt;
Michiel Roos December 7, 2016

Take care to add a content-type parameter on the resource. If you don't, the image will be served as octet-stream.

&lt;web-resource key="bitbucket.repository.nav.resources" name="Repository navigation resources"&gt;
  &lt;resource type="download" name="repository.css" location="/css/repository.css"/&gt;
  &lt;resource type="download" name="icon.svg" location="/images/icon.svg"&gt;
    &lt;param name="content-type" value="image/svg+xml"/&gt;
  &lt;/resource&gt;
  &lt;context&gt;atl.general&lt;/context&gt;
&lt;/web-resource&gt;
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events