How to use Confluence to Auto-Document Development Workflow?

Daniel Farmer December 16, 2015

Hi,

We use Jira, Confluence and BitBucket. We also use unit testing tools (e.g. Jasmine, PHPUnit) and Selenium for UI testing.

Thus we have a simple workflow, where a JIRA sprint (one or more issues) is assigned, once complete unit and interaction testing is performed, if this is successful then Selenium is used for UI testing, if this is successful then we push the code live. Any failures require a new JIRA job to be executed, and the code to be fixed until all tests are passed.

Question: How can we use Confluence to gather outputs from this simple workflow for documentation?

Our aim would be to establish auto-documentation from the outputs of each tool, similar to the layout (), where we assume that Selenium did not pass the first time, and therefore bug fixes were needed before testing could recommence.

Do we need to buy more products, or do the existing tools need to be customised to support this functionality (i.e. custom code), or is there a way of configuring the existing tools (i.e. no custom code) so this can be done?

In essence we need to integrate the Atlassian tools with 3rd party tools, so they all work together and auto-post output to Confluence, for each software version.

Please advise

Brett

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2015

I don't know of any existing software that does this.

This is all entirely possible via the external API. Assuming you are comfortable with scripting languages you should be able to accomplish this entirely in-house. The most simple approach is to take note of the available resources.

Foremost, I need to make the distinction between Cloud and Server products. They just are not identical. This documentation is a little varied, it seems like this is a little affected by the recent rename of Stash to Bitbucket Server, so I'm not sure if I've located the most recent docs. 

Cloud products additionally have a pluggable Connect interface, which is in addition to these API.

Webhooks allow your script to receive information about your processes from the applications. The REST API allows you to manipulate the applications externally. Feasibly, your script could simply receive a webhook with information about JIRA events or query the JIRA API about issue data. Your testing tools could send information or again, you could query them externally. Same for Bitbucket, webhooks and API.

You can use this with Confluence by performing GETs and PUTs to build your information. Perhaps you could add Comments to a page via the API and then later compile them into a document.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events